HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Need help and reassurance

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need help and reassurance

Dr.
i posted a question in the past, but im concerned and need reassurance. In November 2006 i received unproptected BJ from a prostitute. No inmediate symptoms. 44 days after one side of my gum got inflammed at the back and my ganglions got inflamed on that same side under the jaw. Tha lasted for about 15 days. No fever or anything else tha i noticed. 9 weeks after the Bj i got sort of a rash or fungus in my penis and foreskin that lasted for months, 2 dermatologists saw it and told me it was irritation, which i thought rare. What worries me is that recently my girlfriend, who is 27 years old, got a herpes zoster in her chest and cold sores in te lips frequently, which i read is hiv symptoms. I had unprotected sex before all this but had neg test at least 3 months after, but didnt test since the bj from the prostitute.

Let me know your point of view of everything.

Thanks in advance
Consider yourself reassured..  Your fears are groundless.  If your only exposure since your negative test was oral sex, you have nothing to worry about.  HIV is not spread that way.

As for your girlfriend, I suppose you are concerned that you ahve HIV, gave it to her and now she is having problems.  If so, that too is groundless.  Cold sores are in no way a sign of HIV.  200 million Americans are infected with HSV-1.  some of them have frequent cold sores, as does your GF.  Finally, for her to get herpes zoster is a bit unusual but again, while zoster does occur in persons with HIV, most often people do not have HIV, just the bad luck to have herpes zoster.

I would suggest that, since you've worried about this for nearly a year and a half, you should get an HIV test (just 1 !!).  When the result comes back negative, as I'm sure it willbelieve the test.  They are VERY good.

good luck.  EWH
Thanks dr. for your prompt response, when i said cold sores i meant mouth ulcers or aphta, not hsv1...
1- does this change something?
2- what about my symptoms and timing?
3- should i just let go this?

thanks
Aphous ulcers make all of the above more true if that is at all possible.  Risk is minimal, nothing to worry about

EWH