HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Need to PEP?Risk or Not?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need to PEP?Risk or Not?

Dear Dr.Please help me..
24 hours ago. was in the rapid test(fingerprick),because yesterday was the world aids day and i to bring little money.Everything its was fine,because for me not was risk.After the test 2-3 min later i sook hands with HIV pozitive man.I dont know my finger more bleeding or not.i think he hand not was cut.If was the cut him hand or finger ,possibility the infection,if my finger bleeding?please help need to PEP?sorry i to young,and i dont know...
This man 23 years ago HIV poz,under the treament.
1-100% sure if the fingers bleeding for us its ABSOLULT NO RISK?
2-How many minute stop the bleeding after the needle prick?
3-Lot of blood need the infection?
4-And if somebody under the terament,that he can to infections?
Welcome to the Forum.  There is no reason to worry, no need for further testing and certainly no need for PEP related to the events you describe.  The wound from your finger stick blood test does not represent a way for the HIV virus to get into your body and thus there is no reason to worry.  HIV is not spread by shaking hands, even when people have recent wounds, sores or have blood on their hands or fingers.  For these reasons there is no reason to worry and no reason to test/

As for your point that he is on treatment for his HIV, this makes it even more likely that he would not infect someone, even sexual partners.  Persons on effective therapy for their HIV become less infectious, so much so that scientific studies showed that persons taking effective therapy for their infection are 95% less likely to infect sexual partners than persons not on therapy.,

To repeat the most important point however, the events you describe carry no risk for HIV infection and should not worry you. There is no need for testing related to this event and no need for testing.  I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Thank you for your helpful answer.
I little bit worred,But i thinking more ,between the test and the hand to-hand contact was 5 minute,and only 1 sec.This time i think enough stoped the bleeding.(i hope).
And the day-day contact can infections  with HiV,because have little blood or sores,lot of people will be positive.
I try forget it.
Thank you very much again
Glad to help- there is no reason to worry- really. EWH