HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Need your help.

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Need your help.

I’m a 22 male years old from France.The 17 february I had sex with a sex workers. She kissed me(dry kiss of 3 second, no tongue) then she made me protected oral sex and vaginal sex with the same condom.No oral sex or fingering to her and for  prevent a possible slip of the condom I had sex with a hand at the base of the condom(I bear the condom with the hand for prevent the slip). At the end I saw the sperm into it, so it didn’t seem broken.
The 19  March I had sex with another sex workers. I touch her  clitoris for 3 second(but not fingering), she made me protected oral sex and vaginal sex.Also in this occasion I bear the condom with the hand for prevent the slip.At the end I saw the sperm into it, so it didn’t seem broken .
The 17 April(28 days later the second sexual encounter) I developed fever at  99.5 F for 6 days, fatigue,headache,pain to move eyes,tonsils enlarged,2 little lymph in the neck,diarrhea (no sore throath,no rash).I went to check my blood,and the analysis showed high liver enzymes and also elevated WBC. A echograpy show a splenomegaly,but not the liver.I was tested for hep A,B,C, toxo,CMV,all negative. Positive EBV virus Igg(not Igm).The doctor say that was mononucleosis for elevated monocytes, eosinophil,basophil(but how is possible if Igm was negative?)
I was stressed and scared that was hiv, and I developped on my groin a little rash 2inch*1 inch that itch, and that went away with 3 day of cream Mometasone furoate.
I repeated analysis after 1 month and the GOT and GTP and spleen are come normal.I cryed every day, I slept all the days from morning to evening.So I decided that was time to move and get tested.The 25 August(5 months from the second sexual intercourse) I tested only one time(first time of my life) for hiv,“Hiv Ab/Ag” that come back negative.
1)What do you think about my risk? And my symptoms? I’m scared by the splenomegaly, right?
2)Do you think that I’m negative? Can be a false negative(maybe laboratory error?)Thanks.
You are under the care of a health care provider who has given you a clear diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis and you describe very typical symptoms and test results for mono.  And your HIV test was negative more than 2 months after the last possible time you could have caught HIV.  Therefore, you do not have HIV.

1) HIV does not frequently cause splenomegaly.  Mono almost always does.

2) Your HIV test result is reliable.  You do not have HIV.

Continue to follow up with your own doctors.  It sounds like they are very expert.  Stop worrying about HIV.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Thanks for the answer and for your time.

1)So do you think that was mono also with negative igM and only positive igG?
2) I've surfed many hours the web in this months, and there I've read about the ARS and the splenomegaly , so scared I had started to think at acute hiv(also with condom). The others symptoms don't suggest you hiv anyway?
3)My hiv test(hiv ab/ag) was done 5 months from the last possible exposure, so can't be a false negative?

Sorry if I wrote you again, but your opinion is very reliable for me.

Thanks again.

It is impossible to have HIV symptoms and have a negative HIV blood test.  With modern HIV tests, false negative results are too rare to worry ab out.  It is a waste of time for you to be searching the web about ARS.  

I am not an expert in mono diagnosis, but I believe the negative IgM test doesn't mean anything.

Accept the reassurance that your own doctor has given.  Just forget HIV.  I won't have any other comments.
Thanks for your help, have a nice day.
my doctor has told me numerous amounts of time that not many thinks cause a swollen spleen and liver, besides mono, and you had protected sex so there is no realistic reason to even worry unless you have a previous event in your past....good luck