HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Negative result of antibody and p24 antigen test after 28 days conclusi...

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Negative result of antibody and p24 antigen test after 28 days conclusive?

Dear sir, I am 23 years old male. I did biggest mistake of my life. 30 days ago, I had oral and vaginal sex with escort in paris.It was with condom. i think she was brazilian. It was my first sex experience in life. She changed the condom after oral sex. It was the new condom for vaginal sex. But after vaginal sex I did not verify carefully whether condom was broken or not. it was the dim light there. what are the chances of breaking condom? that escort is constanting putting her advertisement on internet. I am not sure about her hiv status. after that day i am constantly thinking and worying. I am panicked and stress till now. After 3 weeks I did HIV antibody and antigen P24 test (Abbott CI8200) it came negative. in the begining of fourth week, for 4-5 seconds i had sharp pain in bladder and then i went to urinate. then next day I did urine tests for UTI, chlamydia, gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) (after 21 days); all came negative. I went to STD specialist after 12 and 19 days. they said me that there is no any symptom of STD on body. I did herpes, hepitatis c test, syphillis (syphilis) test after 21 days, all came negative. after 28 days i did again same combo test. result is negative. people from lab are damn sure about accuracy of test and they told me to do it after 3 months to just get sure.still im freaking out after reading on internet. are there any chances of turning positive in next two weeks. since last two days i have mild headache, mild throat infection and i have not go naturally to toilet for pooping since yesterday morning. (forcefully i did it this morning and afternoon). am I victim of delayed serroconversion?  please help me. please
Welcome to our Forum.  I'm pleased to confirm what you have already been told on the HIV Community site.  There is no risk for HIV or for nearly all other STIs (including HIV) from condom protected sex.  Following an exposure of the sort you describe, most experts would tell you there is no medical reason to seek testing.  You tested anyway and, not surprisingly all of your test results have been negative.  The test for HIV you had, a combination HIV p24 antigen/HIV antibody test provides definitive results at 28 days following exposure and thus your results are now definitive, providing further evidence that you did not get HIV.

At this time there is no need for further testing, no reason for concern.  My advice is to move on and not worry further about this encounter.  In addition, I urge you to stay off the internet- it will only mislead you.

I hope my comments are helpful to you. EWH
thanks for answer! as my results after 28 days are definitive, i will be relaxed. but im not really sure whether condom was broken or not. I hope it was not. It was my first time experience so i don't know how to realise broken condom. I paid 150 euros to that escort . She was looking clean and healthy. I hope she does not have hiv. what is window period for STDs? I have a slight headache in the evening since 2-3 days. thats why i am worried.
Whether or not the condom was broken is irrelavant.  You have a negative, definitive test.  EWH
dear sir thanks for your answer about hiv duo test! i am sorry for disturbing you again. I wanted to ask you that when should I further test for chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B and C, syphilis? As i remembered while testing (after 21days) for Urine tract infection, chlamydia and gonorrhea I gave urine sample (without urinating for more than 3 hours) but lab assistant gave me packed cloth to clean penis, i cleaned area near tip of penis. could cleaning give me false negative result for chlamydia and gonorrhea? im confused.I had sharp bladder pain for 5 seconds and pain reduced after urinating on 20thday. i don't know whether i am vaccinated for hepatatis or not. thanks in advance. please help me
Your exposure was condom protected.  This makes your exposure essentially no risk with no need for testing, as I told you earlier.  Despite that you got tested and the tests were negative (no suprise).It is beyond time for you to relax and start worrying.  No need for further testing.  EWH
thanks for your answer sir! but i am not sure whether condom was broken or not. i had not checked it carefully. thats why it is creating lot of doubts in my mind.
1. does wiping tip of penis clean with provided cloth in lab before giving urine sample give false negative result  for gonorrhea and chlamydia?

please help me
You asked this question before.  If wiping your penis woul dhave changed your test results, I would have told you.  Once again, I urge you to believe your test resutls.  EWH
i am sorry to disturb you agian. since last two days i have red eyes than normal. quite looking like conjuctivitis. is this any warning sign? do you recommend anything? please help me out. im scared. thanks a lot
Final answer.  Conjunctivitits is not a sign of early HIV.  You have a definitive test.  You need to stop worrying that every little abnormality you note is a manifestion of HIV.  Relax.

There will be no further answers. Beleive your test results.  EWH