HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Night sweats from hiv

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Night sweats from hiv

My question is about night sweats.  I am a very anxious person and have had night sweats in the past, but recently have been having them almost every night.  I check my temp before bed and it is normal and when I wake up there will be light sweat not soaking but noticable sweating on my body.  When I check temp I still have no fever.  Wouldn't I have fever if the sweats where from hiv?
It is not clear to me what the basis of your HIV concern is.  Night sweats are an incredibly non-specific symptom.  Common causes of night sweats include normal daily fluctuation in body temperature, reflux (heartburn -sometimes anxiety related) and any number of infectious illnesses including many community acquired, non-HIV viral infections (i.e. the “flu”).  When they occur in the context of HIV, they typically do so with later stages or established HIV and are related to the presence of some other infection.  Unless there is some very good reason for you to be concerned about HIV, I would not worry.

Hope these comments help.  EWH
The only concern was about 4 months ago I had a condom break with a women.  About 5 days later my throat had alot of mucous in it and I felt achy for about 2 days.  No fever.  I have been taking an atidepressant and ever since then I have had these very light sweats with no fever.  I was just wondering your opinion.  Would this be to early for symptoms like that anyway.
Thanks for the additional explanation.  The exposure you describe is not particularly high risk   The night sweats are still no reason for concern.  Given a possible exposure you may wish to get tested for your peace of mind but nothing you have said is suggestive of HIV and if you do get tested, I am confident that your test will not be positive from the exposure you describe.   EWH
Thanks for all your help.  I will try to stop stressing so much and that is the only exposure that I have had since last tested.  For my peice of mind when would symptoms start to occur like 1 year or 2 how long?  This is my last question.  So thanks alot.
Night sweats, when related to HIV and related infections occur years after acquistion of infection.  EWH
A related discussion, Extremelly worried was started.