HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Not sure about risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Not sure about risk
I had an exposure that is concerning me somewhat in respect to hiv. I went for an exotic body to body massage in Thailand. After showering and applying soap we lay down and the girl got on top of me and was sliding her body on mine as we faced eachother. Our genitals were touching and I probably got vaginal secretions on my penis head and possibly urethra but no penetration happened. My penis was semi-erect during the massage if it makes any difference.  She also fingered my anus at one point and I'm unsure if she had been fingering herself first which may have transferred vaginal fluid to my anus? She did touch her vagina during showering but I'm not sure if she touched herself again after that. I then performed cunnilingus on her before we had condom protected vaginal sex. Then we washed again and I left.

I have 3 questions:

1 is there any hiv risk from getting vaginal secretions on my penis head and possibly urethra without penetration as described above?

2 is there any risk from being fingered in the anus if she (possibly )was fingering herself first?

3 any need for testing?

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the Forum.   There is no reason for concern related to any of the activities that you describe.  HIV is transmitted in adults ONLY through penetrative genital or ano-genital sexual contact or through introduction of infected materials (i.e. blood, secretions) directly deep into tissue.  It is not transferred by transfer of genital secretions for person to person on hands or inanimate objected.  Further, you do not know that this person had HIV and, in fact, most commercial sex workers, even in Thailand, do not have HIV.

To address your specific concerns:
No, this is no risk form this sort of exposure.  There are no cases of HIV transmission documented to have occurred through mutual masturbation even though it is typical for participants to get each other’s' genital secretions on one another.

Not, HIV is not transmitted by this form of masturbation either.

3 any need for testing?
I see no need for testing related to the exposures you describe. Condom protected sex is safe sex as long as the condom was worn throughout the sex act and remained intact.

I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Thanks for this information which is very helpful.  It has alleviated my concerns. Good luck with your forum.
Does touching penis on vulva without penetration fall into the category of mutual masterbation?
What I was referring to in my first question was that my penis touched her vulva without condom but no penetration occurred. was this what you were referring to also. This clarification will be my last question.
Yes, touching the penis or vagina with a finger or genital rubbing without penetration all fall into the category of mutual masturbation.

EWH
Dr Hansfield refered to genital rubbing as rubbing genitals with hands in an earlier post so I'm a little confused. I'm talking specifically about genital apposition. Penis touching vagina but no penetration. I assume your answer refers to genital apposition also and it is no risk right?
I understand what you are describing.  I hope you understand me when I said " this is no risk from this sort of exposure".  EWH
Noted. Thanks very much for your reply and sorry my anxiety pushed me to seek clarification twice. Just wanted to put this behind me.