HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
One Night Stand - Chances of Exposure Risks
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

One Night Stand - Chances of Exposure Risks

Hello,
I am a 25 year old female living in the U.S.  I was recently dumped by my partner after a long-term monogamous relationship.  In wake of the situation I had a one night stand with a 28 year old male from out of town, something I have never done before so you can only imagine how bad I feel now.  We did not use protection, and had sex three times that night.  I know little to nothing about this man, but he looked healthy, but I know that doesn't mean much.  

Within two weeks the lymph nodes in my throat were irritated, which lasted about two days.  I also have developed a yeast infection, and developed a cyst on the outside of my vaginal lip.  I went and got tested for HIV and all other STDs two weeks after the incident (even though I know it won't show results just yet for that incident).  Of course the results were negative.  I went to the gynecologist and had him look at my cyst and he said it did not look like herpes or warts and suggested it was more than likely a skin irritation.  It's been three weeks since my one night stand and I am driving myself crazy thinking I might have been exposed to HIV and that the cyst and yeast infection are symptoms of HIV.  My vagina is still itchy and my clitoris now hurts and is red and irritated.  The doctor did a culture and I'm waiting on those results.  

As a female who had unprotected vaginal sex with a heterosexual male, what are my chances of contracting HIV?  I am terrified that my one indiscretion is going to haunt me for the rest of my life.  The guilt of it is killing me and at this point I need some reassurance before I can get my next HIV test, which my doctor said I would have to wait 3 months to repeat to get an accurate result.  My doctor and friends think I am being overly paranoid, but this is a first for me.  Does this sound like HIV exposure?  What is a rough number of the chances for my situation?  Thank you.