HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oral + dna + antibody test 6 weeks

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Oral + dna + antibody test 6 weeks

I am need your expert opinion. I paralyzed with fear that I caught hiv and can not think about anything else. My primary care physician believes it is just stress

Had unprotected insertive oral sex. Became scared and took arythimicine and cifixme and cipro. Then started to have weird muscle spasms and a sore testicle - got full CBC panel and was ok. Also received full std panel, all ok.

Then at 40 days I got worried about HIV, so I took a pcr dna test, + 2 regular antibody tests from different labs. All negative

But I have had viral symptoms - headache, loss of appetite, myalgia, tingles, joint an muscle aches and my eye is inflamed.

I am so scared- I know oral was negligible risk per CDC, and I know that the girl may not have even been hiv +, and I read that dna test is 99% after 28 days, and I also had and antibody. So I should be jumping for joy. But instead I have no appetite.

In you opinion am I ok?
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to confirm that you can be completely confident that you did not get HIV from the exposure you have described.  As you point out, your partner may not have had HIV (and if fact, probably did not) and the CDC, as well as many carefully conducted scientific studies have shown that receipt of oral sex is of little or no risk for acquisition of HIV.  In fact, there are no proven cases in which someone has gotten HIV from receipt of oral sex.  

In your case, your test result complement the statistical facts indicating your low risk for infection.  Scientific studies have shown that antibody tests alone detect over 95% of recent infections at 6 weeks (42 days) and that the combination of a test for the virus (i.e. the p24 antigen or, in your case, a DNA test) plus an HIV antibody test detect all infections from 4 weeks following exposure onward.  Thus your tests (2 antibody tests and the test for viral DNA) also PROVE that you were not infected with HIV.  You can be confident of this.

As for your symptoms. the symptoms you describe are not particularly suggestive of HIV and are those common to many, many types of community acquired viral illnesses of the sort most people get from time to time.  You should not attribute your current symptoms to HIV, given your history and test results.  In addition, I urge you to not go to the internet to research this issue- the fact is that there is much inflammatory mis-information there which would only feed your anxiety.

I hope this helps. There is no evidence whatsoever that you acquired HIV from the very, very low risk exposure you have described. EWH
Dr. Thank you for all that you do. This is extremely reassuring. I am so relieved. This is what I originally thought, but then a little too much googling combined with mystery symptoms and then paranoia for me and my longterm partner health.

Last quick question: I have not wanted to eat for 3 weeks, myalgia getting better but for a few days it was highly noticeable at my underarms and an eye infection which was better is now worse and muscle chest pains. Then what put me over the edge was my longterm partner had a bad headache and a fever blister outbreak. i know am looking for things not there.  A headache, or other viral infections can happen. I have a psychologist and he is helping me but your note about the pcr + antibody was very helpful.  Just reconfirming pcr + antibody should be conclusive at 40 days given my "non" exposure - currently at 9 weeks

thank you again - no more follow up questions
Yes,. your test results are quite conclusive. EWH