HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oral Thrush - As a Symptom of HIV

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Oral Thrush - As a Symptom of HIV

Hi, I was just wondering about Oral Thrush as a symptom of HIV.  I have a very white tongue.  I also have a small white spot on the side of my tongue near the back - which really concerns me.   I also have diabetes and I know that sometimes you can get oral thrush from that if it is not managed well (I have a doctor's appointment about this in a few weeks).

I had unprotected vaginal sex with one of my co-workers about a month ago, we did not have a condom and were drunk.  I am going to go in for STD tests regardless because you never know I guess but I am wondering about oral thrush as a symptom of HIV - acute or later stages.  

I am sure you have heard of this "glass spit test" to determine whether you have oral thrush.  

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-test.html

I am also sure that it is not exactly scientific and the websites that promote these types of tests also promote "cures" for oral thrush.  However, I did the test and sure enough I had the leg like strings in my glass as they described.  

I have read some places that it usually will not develop within a few weeks or even a few months of HIV (in other words, it is not really a sign of acute HIV).  But then some websites refer to oral thrush as a symptom of acute HIV.  

I should also tell you that I have had no other symptoms, no nightsweats, no flu like symptoms, no sore throat, etc.

If it is a symptom of HIV and when would it usually develop with an HIV infected individuals?  Further would it alone exist as a symptom or would is usually be combined with other symptoms that you are aware of?

How concerned should I be at this point about the oral thrush?  Obviously you cannot comment on my risk of HIV as you do not know the girl, her sexual history, etc. - although I know that in even unprotected sex with her being infected, the chances are still very slim.  I am more just wondering about the Oral Thrush.
Welcome to our Forum.  You have little to worry about.  For starters, your risk for HIV from a single heterosexual encounter is low.  Unless your partner uses IV drugs, here in North America than chance that she has HIV is less than 1 in 10,000.  Then, even if she did, the risk for getting HIV from a single heterosexual encounter is less than 1 in 1000, thus mathematically your risk for HIV is less than 1 in 10 million.

As far as thrush is concerned, you may or may not have it. While thrush is more common in persons with advanced (i.e. they have been infected for years) HIV, thrush is quite common in persons who do not have HIV and, in fact, most people with thrush do not have HIV. Things that increase the risk for thrush include diabetes and having taken antibiotics recently.  Many people who get thrush have no obvious reason.  I would not worry the your thrush, if that is what you have, is due to HIV.

Finally, let me endorse your plans to get tested for STDs.  Most people who have STDs do not know it so after an encounter with a new partner getting checked is always a good idea.

I hope my comments are helpful to you. Take care.  EWH