HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oral Thrush - As a Symptom of HIV
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Oral Thrush - As a Symptom of HIV

Hi, I was just wondering about Oral Thrush as a symptom of HIV.  I have a very white tongue.  I also have a small white spot on the side of my tongue near the back - which really concerns me.   I also have diabetes and I know that sometimes you can get oral thrush from that if it is not managed well (I have a doctor's appointment about this in a few weeks).

I had unprotected vaginal sex with one of my co-workers about a month ago, we did not have a condom and were drunk.  I am going to go in for STD tests regardless because you never know I guess but I am wondering about oral thrush as a symptom of HIV - acute or later stages.  

I am sure you have heard of this "glass spit test" to determine whether you have oral thrush.  

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-test.html

I am also sure that it is not exactly scientific and the websites that promote these types of tests also promote "cures" for oral thrush.  However, I did the test and sure enough I had the leg like strings in my glass as they described.  

I have read some places that it usually will not develop within a few weeks or even a few months of HIV (in other words, it is not really a sign of acute HIV).  But then some websites refer to oral thrush as a symptom of acute HIV.  

I should also tell you that I have had no other symptoms, no nightsweats, no flu like symptoms, no sore throat, etc.

If it is a symptom of HIV and when would it usually develop with an HIV infected individuals?  Further would it alone exist as a symptom or would is usually be combined with other symptoms that you are aware of?

How concerned should I be at this point about the oral thrush?  Obviously you cannot comment on my risk of HIV as you do not know the girl, her sexual history, etc. - although I know that in even unprotected sex with her being infected, the chances are still very slim.  I am more just wondering about the Oral Thrush.