HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oraquick testing question

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Oraquick testing question

Hello. I have been tested several times after my last recent exposure using the oraquick rapid blood test-all negative. My question is, I have hyperhidrosis so my hands tend to sweat a lot. If my hands were sweating when they were collecting the blood would that have interferred with the test results at all? There was a control line on the test. Would there have been no control line if it had affected it?

I am worried because I keep getting recurrent yeast infections. I had my blood sugar checked and that was fine, although I have been on antibiotics for the past 4 months. I just can't seem to put this worry behind me. If you could help me out with this that would be great. I just do not know if the sweat would have affected the test. Thank you so much for yor time.
Your test results are absolutely reliable, regardless of hyperhidrosis or any other medical condition, and regardless or your yeast infections.  Anyway, although recurrent yeast infections are listed as a possible sign of HIV, that is a very rare indicator of HIV, if it even occurs at all.  That is, almost nobody with recurrent yeast has HIV, unless they are otherwise at very obvious risk, such as being the regular sex partner of an HIV infected person.

The continuous antibiotic therapy is a more likely explanation of recurrent yeast infections. Discuss it with your health care provider.  But stop worrying about HIV.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
The reason you keep getting yeast infections is because of the antibiotics, they are killing off the good bacteria along with the bad leaving no one to keep things in check...
I know the Oraquick oral tests have a control line to show that the test is working. I am sure it is the same with the rapid blood tests.
How accurate is the test?  Time frame is possible.