HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Paranoid about possible HIV risk with a stripper

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello doctor,

I wanted to hear your own expert answer on my experience for my own peace of mind. If you would be so kind.

This Tuesday I made the terrible choice of deciding to goto the back room with a stripper for an hour. During that hour there was a lot of French/deep kissing going on. There was a lot of nipple sucking as well. On roughly 3-4 occasions I rubbed my fingers on her vagina and inserted my fingers inside once but only for a few seconds. I made the conscious decision of not touching my face with that hand during the entirety of the event. At one point she started to give me a handjob with her hand that she may have used to touch her own genitals with but I stopped her after a few seconds because I was very turned off by this. Since I wasn't aroused I was pretty flaccid and I don't think her hand actually touched the head of my penis because the foreskin was covering it.

I should also mention that I had a semi-healed cold sore on the edge of my mouth during this entire event.

No vaginal sex took place, no anal sex took place, and no oral sex took place.

My question doctor, I'm I at any risk of contracting HIV from this experience?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment.  When folks make decisions that they later regret, they tend to worry. That's human nature.  It's my pleasure to inform you however that there is no risk to you whatsoever from the exposure and activities you describe.  For starters, your partner probably did not have HIV or any other STD.  Most commercial sex workers do not. Second, even with "high risk" exposures such as vaginal sex, HIV is rarely transmitted.  For instance, when vaginal sex occurs between one person who has HIV and another does not, the likelihood of transmission is only one infection for every 1000 acts of intercourse.

In addition, HIV is not spread through touching, kissing, nipple sucking or masturbation.  Not ever.  That you have a cold sore at the time does not change this.  

You are not at all at risk from the activities you describe and do not need testing.  I hope these comments are helpful.  time to move forward from here.  EWH
Thank you so much doctor for your answer and the Invaluable service you provide to everyone in this community
Glad I could help.  Take care. EWH