HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Peace of Mind

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Peace of Mind

I know this has been addressed before in these forums, however, as we all seem to think our situation is different here is mine. During a recent encounter with a massage parlor lady. I engaged in very brief cunnilingus ( less than 1 minute ) with her and some limited grinding of my penis against her vagina. There was no other sex than this. The cunnilingus was even just around the clit area, as my toungue was the only thing that came in contact. I never stuck my toungue inside deep inside her vagina. My only concern was that I had a small ulcer inside my lower lip. While the ulcer did not touch her, it was still a concern.

My question is, what was my risk of exposure and do I need to get tested.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

Probably you have correctly predicted my response.  We don't really give personalized responses.  Since we're never present during the encounters people write about, our replies are pretty much the same and are based in our general knowledge about the likelihood certain kinds of partners may have HIV and, if infected, the likelihood of HIV transmission based on what is known about various kinds of sexual or blood contact.

In the 8+ years since this forum started, the response to every question about HIV risk from cunnilingus or non-insertive genital contact (e.g., "grinding") has been pretty much the same:  there is no known risk, and few if any reported cases of HIV transmission by these means.  At any point in time, many people have oral sores, inflamed gums, etc, so there must have been millions (maybe billions) of cunnilingus episodes in the presence of such lesions -- yet still no known HIV cases resulting.  Further, we always say that few massage parlor workers have HIV, and that among commercial sex workers, somewhere from 1 in 100 to only 1 in 1000 have HIV.

So your risk of HIV, as for all similar exposures described on this forum, is zero for all practical purposes.  If this is your only potential risk, there is no need for HIV testing, and you can safely continue unprotected sex with any regular partner(s) you may have.  But if you decide to be tested anyway, there are several options.  In general, I favor in-person testing by a health professional, e.g. your primary care provider, a local health department clinic, or a Planned Parenthood clinic.  Alternatively, you can search for an online testing service; or purchase the new over-the-counter home self test for HIV.

Best regards--  HHH, MD