HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Penile insertion

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Penile insertion

I met a woman on the weekend and after a few drinks went to her place and proceeded to mess around. We were grinding and she slipped the head of my penis in her vagina, without condom. I looked down to see exactly what was happening because it felt like I was inside her. I was but only the head, could still see bottom rim of the head of my penis.....this was maybe maybe 10 seconds I am guessing.....pulled out immediately and didn't even have sex after this, too paranoid. She gave me a handjob and I ejaculate din her mouth.

So, now what? Is there ANY risk at all from this?

Phoned some hotlines they basically said HIV will jump in seconds they say......my logical side says this is false...but then my illogical side takes over and the paranoia starts to fuel itself.  They said I need to test for all std's and hiv from this incident.  I am very confused what to do.

To me this is almost a non existent risk but then I am not a Dr.

Please help
thanks
First, if you are in the US or another industrialized country, the chance that the lady has HIV is very low.  People just don't catch HIV from situations like you describe, at least not in numbers that matter.  Second, even if she had HIV, the chance of transmission during regular unprotected intercourse--by which I mean a few minutes, with ejaculation--is around 1 chance in 2000.  Third, why don't you call her and ask whether she has HIV??  Most likely you have her number or could find it.  She probably is just as worried as you about the risks from this event--and from a statistical perspective, she is at higher risk of a bad outcome than you are.

In regard to actual HIV risks, your 'logical side' is exactly right.  Thinking about hotlines, just use some common sense.  Who is likely to take such a job?  What is the perspective of organizations that run hotlines?  For a number of reasons, they are likely to magnify the risks.

I don't recommend testing for HIV or other STDs in situations like this, unless someone has symptoms that suggest infection.  As a sexually active person, you shoud have and HIV test and routine HIV testing (chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc) once a year.  Since it's on your mind, perhaps this is a good time to do it.  But not because of the risks associated with this particular event.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I will post this question as well prior to your answer to my original post to save some time.

I would like to learn about exactly how hiv transmission takes place.  I have read over and over and over again that it is a hard virus to transmit even under the best of cicumstances but there is never any explanation as to why this is.

Could you post a brief layman summary of this or could you point me to where I and maybe others could go to read for ourselves.

It is ok to make general statements such as what I have mentioned above but I always need to know the "why's" of things as I tend to "see" or understand things better this way.

If you can do this, thank you, if not thaks anyway.
Thanks for the reply.  I did ask her at the time and she said I had nothing to worry about with her.  She is from another country and said she had medical background but seems like a stretch to me.  And, people lie....especially if you are face to face with someone and they may be afraid of a persons reaction in my opinion anyway.

I will not test then, this is my only potential exposure (I think) other than some unprotected oral and some handjobs.

thanks
I am just wondering.  YOu said an STD test is not even recommended for my encounter.  So I am assuming that even chlamydia, gonorrhea, and even herpes is not really an issue here.   All of which are much easier to transmit from what I understand.

And if those are not an issue in my extremely brief encounter then HIV is certainly not a concern at all.  Correct?