HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Please DOCTORS help me!

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Please DOCTORS help me!

Dear Doctors,

I am a male from Dubai, I had unprotected sex with a sex worker in London 7 months ago (November-2012), and before the unprotected sex I went almost 5 times to a massage centre and I had unprotected oral sex twice and body-to-body massage with two different girls. After 2 weeks from the unprotected sex I did Gonorrhea and Chlamydia test (NAAT) and it was negative, and then I did HIV PRC RNA test 14 days after the sex and it was negative as well, then I did DUO test after a month, another DUO test after 2 months, INSTI test after 3 months, 3 INSTI tests after 4 months, 2 INSTI tests after 5 months. Also I did syphilis and Herpes tests after almost 4 months from last unprotected sex and  all were negative except Herpes type 1 Positive and the doctor told me everybody has it ( I did all these tests in Freedomhealth clinic in London). After almost 7 months from the unprotected sex I went back to Dubai and I did another HIV test, the doctor told me it is same as the DUO test looks for antibody and Antigen, and I did Hepatitis test, but I am not sure which type was it for, I think B and C, the doctor advised me to do this test, and all the results were negative.

Although all my results were negative and the doctors told me to relax and I don't need to worry about it , but I am still worried about HIV ,Hepatitis and other diseases :(

And just to let you know that my Mom told me that I had vaccination for Hepatitis when I was a kid.

My questions are:

Are my tests were enough ?

Do I need to do another test for Hepatitis or after 6 months are enough? can someone who had a vaccination for Hepatitis gets infected with Hepatitis from someone who is infected with Hepatitis?

I am really going crazy with it, please help me, and sorry about my bad English.

Regards,

Tags: Hepatitis, sex, HIV
Welcome to the forum.  It is time for you to stop testing.  You have now been repeatedly tested for HIV and for hepatitis at times when the results are completely reliable. Further testing will not change the result.  The sorts of tests you have been tested with (tests that detect both HIV p24 antigen and HIV antibodies) provide reliable results when obtained at any time more than 4 weeks after exposure.

I hope this comment is helpful to you.  EWH

Dear Hook,

thank you very much for your reply, but can you answer my question please, I would be really grateful. Is it possible for someone who had a vaccination for Hepatitis gets infected with Hepatitis from someone who is infected with Hepatitis? And what is the window period for the Hepatitis?

Many thanks,
Hepatitis B is not a concern if you have been vaccinated.  It is a highly effective vaccine.  Hepatitis blood tests would be positive bt Rees months if you have acquired hepatitis. EWH
Sorry, that should read "...by three months if..."  EWH
Thanks a lot Dr Hook I really appreciate your answer, last question I promise you, what about Hepatitis A and C? Can these types be transmitted sexually? Should I be concerned about them and why? What are the window periods for them?

Many thanks Dr Hook.
Hepatitis A is transmitted by inestion of fecal material from an infected person.  Hepatitis C is not a STD for persons who do not participate in receptive rectal intercourse.  Thus, the exposures you describe do not put you at risk for either hepatitis A or C.  

Time for this thread to end.  EWH