HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Please comment on the test results....!!!!
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Please comment on the test results....!!!!

I posted a question on

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/Am-I-infected-Please-help-me-I-am-on-verge-of-breakdown/show/1551328

which is :
[ I am from Gujarat, India. This episode of mistake and foolishness happened on 30th June, 2011. I had an encounter with a Commercial Sex Worker from Bombay. First I fingered her. Then we went on to have bath. After the bath I touched her clits with the unprotected tip of my penis. Then we went on to have protected vaginal sex. The first condom slipped so I changed and put another one. This act was her upon me. I didn't reach orgasm so I removed protection and she sucked me unprotected and I came a bit in her mouth. Then finally she gave me a hand job. Thereafter in about next three hours I sucked her breasts thrice and deep fingered her vagina during that time. I don't know her HIV and STD status. I am having mild headache, loss of appetite, indigestion, sweating, feeling restless and sleep-ness since the day I was with her. My questions are :

Consider the Indian Scenario for my case since its different than the USA - UK or other countries I believe.

The last few days have been very scary and it looks like I am drifting towards death. Please help and give me correct guidance and information so that I can start medicines if required. Please help me doctor. It has been difficult time all through.]

Now, I have got my 8 day PCR RNA test results which reads as under :

Test : Quantification of HIV - 1 RNA by standard procedure on COBAS Taq Man - 48

Method : COBAS Taq Man - 48 with Manual Extraction

Target Selection : Highly Conserved Sequence of Gag gene is selected for amplification and detection

Limit of detection : 47 copies / ml (28.2 IU/ml)

Measuring Range : 47-10,000,000 copies / ml (28.2 IU/ml - 6,000,000 IU/ml)

Result : TARGET NOT DETECTED

Please can you comment on the result? Can this be considered reliable that I am not infected?