HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Please help ! Some HIV worries after the test, anxiety appeared

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dear Doctors, I have Condom-protected vagina sex with a Woman on Dec 14 2012  whose HIV-status is unknown. She provided the condom(Durex). %% During the first month, I don't have lasting high-fever. Just sometimes feel body itchy, and there was one day I feel not well and headache. But in the first month, I don't even get a cold. I feel quite OK.

%% In my country, the hopital and Clinics use OraQuick or Quick Blood Testing, results in 15-20 min. %% I have done my first Quick Blood Testing on the 30th day ( Jan 14 2013)   the result is negative. I went to another bigger Clinic for quick blood testing just 2 days after, (Jan 16 2013) The result is negative.

%%After the test, the medical workers use small band-aid to cover my finger. But It not cover very well, cos my fresh wound is a little bit top on the finger, I can still see the my wound when I look at it from top and it's bleeding.
After I am back home, I take off the band-aid, and found blood near the wound, they are already dry, but when I push my wound a little, it is still bleeding, but very very litttle. At the same time, I found some dry blood on my right first finger, I remember I use my right first finger to touch the band-aid which is on my left hand. I start to worry again. where does the blood come from???   If other affected people's blood drop touch my fresh wound, would I be affected???   I don't crash any people or touch any people after the test, I started to worry about the door handles, and some other things.

%%A week later, (40 days since sexual behavior), I go and do a OraQuick test, result is negative. %% Now what I worry is the band-aid thing, cos I am not sure If I have touched some other people's affected blood drop on the door handle or anywhere else.
Do I need to go test again ? I really want to forget about it.
Please helps! Thanks! You are all the angels!
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to comment.  First, you can be confident that the sexual exposure you describe did not place you at risk for HIV or any other STD?  Condom protected sex is safe sex.

Second, given the nature of the situation you describe, you can be confident that the blood you saw was your blood, not someone else's.  even if it was however, the sort of exposure you describe would not place you at risk for HIV-surface exposures of this sort do not meaningfully place you at risk for HIV.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH
{ Be more specific, Quick Blood Testing is the finger-pricking :) }
Thanks for your response! I also notice that it dry blood on my right first finger is my blood. But I am just not 100% sure. So I think of a worst scenario, that is my bleeding wounds on my left finger touch other people' s affected blood on door handles or somewhere else.  Base on your response, even if my bleeding wound really touched affected blood drop, I am still ok and it would not place me at risk cos it is human skin surface-touched , is it correct if I say that.  Do you think I need to do a test again? Or just forget about it.
My advice is to move forward.  There is no medical reason to test again.  EWH
Thanks ! U are really the angel to everyone!   Thanks thanks !!