HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Please help me. Very worried about HIV risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi. Please help me.

I am a hetrosexual male but do have bi curious moments.

Between 2004 and 2010 I used a total of 7 male escorts here in the UK. (1 time each)
Typically the meeting would consist of unprotected oral both ways.(never cum in mouth)
And PROTECTED Sex with condom ALWAYS. I was the receiver but I always got him to withdraw
before cumming. Condom on all occasions never broke I have also had no HIV symptoms.

I am now in a very loving relationship with a girl, and am very happy. I hadn't given my past any thought
until recently when I read an article about contracting STDs through oral sex.
As a natural worrier I started to do Internet searches and many sites say there is a risk?

I am now paranoid and worried sick about my past?

What are my chances that I've contracted HIV?

Do I need to test?

Many thanks

M
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to try to help.  The exposures you describe did not put you at risk for HIV.  For starters, most commercial sex workers, including most male escorts, do not have HIV or other STDs.  Second, HIV is not transmitted by oral sex.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or found in our reading of the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  Thus, there is no evidence that HIV is transmitted through oral sex.   Finally, your rectal exposures were condom protected an condom protected sex is safe sex.  Thus, there is no reason from what you have reported to worry at all that you acquire HIV from the exposures you report.

You do not mention prior STD or HIV testing.  While as I said there is no obvious risk, as a matter of personal protection, we recommend annual STD and HIV testing for anyone who has had two or more sex partners in the past year (we consider this to be health maintenance- we also recommend you get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly).   While I remain confident that there is nothing you have said that suggests you need to worry about STD or HIV, testing by both partners is a great way to start a new relationship or consolidate on ongoing one.  You might consider it.  EWH