HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Please help

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Please help

I'm not sure if you had seen my question on the other forum. But my name is Erica almost 3 months ago while I was traveling in London UK, I was raped. I came back home to Canada, and after several weeks I got the courage to go to a walk in clinic and had the doctor do a PAP, std/sti check as well. All theists came back negative. I did the Elisa 3rd generation test at exactly 42 days from the incident. It was negative.
Since that day, day 42, pretty much I had a sore throat coughing a lot, I went to a naturopath a week later and he gave me proccaine shots in my throat, and that got rid if the cough... But my throat was still sore, a week later he gave me some more shots. But my throat remained sore. Three weeks after, I had a panic attack and ended up at the emergency where the Dr, did a swap for Strep throat- which was negative. Then sent me to an ENT specialist. Who stated I have acute laryngitis. I have had a sore throat now going on 4 weeks... So paranoid checked and saw that laryngitis is a symptom of HIV? So I ended up in the emergency again.
I have no other symptoms asides from this..,
Can you please help and let me know what are the chances of my test turning positive?
Can the 3rd generation test at six weeks be reliable?
Please I'm really scared and so nervous
Erica
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question.  I'm sorry to hear of your very unfortunate experience.

The main issue on your mind is whether you might have HIV despite the negative blood test at 42 days.  The answer is no:  there is no realistic chance.  The standard HIV tests are highly reliable at 6 weeks, and the results ALWAYS overrule symptoms that seem to suggest a new HIV infection.  If you had an antibody test, you might want a final test at 3 months, the official interval advised by most experts for definitive testing.  But you can be confident a follow-up test will remain negative. For more information about all this, see the thread linked below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/RNA-and-oraquick-swab-test-/show/1891685

The vast majority of sore throats are due to viruses (meaning viruses other than HIV), and therefore never respond to antibiotic therapy.  I assume your naturopathic doctor thought he was treating you "just in case" it was bacterial (such as a strep throat) -- but it isn't at all surprising it didn't help, and that fact also does not suggest HIV.  And as noted above, your negative HIV test proves HIV isn't the cause.  The lymph nodes don't mean anything one way or the other:  any throat infection can cause enlarged nodes in the neck.

I wish you well, and encourage you to consider professional counseling to deal with the aftermath of the sexual assault.  But you can stop worrying about HIV; you don't have it.

I hope this helps--  HHH, MD
I forgot to mention I have lots of swollen lymph nodes in my neck
Noted -- see above.
Thank-you very much.... You have relieved a lot of stress for me.
Erica
I'm glad to have helped.  Take care.