HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia.

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia.

can you get Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia from from kissing a hiv postive person? she been having coughs some but nothing else she said.i know you cant get from french kissing but worried about Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia. i went to the doctor last week and they said i had pneumonia they
put in the hospital for 4 days on antibotics. i got out and two later i went back and they gave me different antibotics and still feeling a little bad. i got worried and start to read that hiv person get pneumocystic jiroveci pneumonia and if this could be want wrong with me.i just have chest pain back pain and breathing problem. no fever. you can dont get hiv from french kissing her right?

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.  I'm sorry to hear about your unlucky experience with pneumonia. But there is nothing in your story that suggests anything other than the garden-variety infections that cause almost all pneumonia in otherwise healthy persons.

"Can you get Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia from from kissing a hiv postive person?"  No, you cannot.  Unlike most everyday pneumonias, you don't catch Pneumocystis from other people.  It's a common organism in the environment, and most of us pick it up somewhere along the way, usually during childhood. We carry it in our lungs (or perhaps elsewhere in the respiratory tract) our whole lives and generally it does no harm.  But if we get a serious immune deficiency, especially of the type caused by AIDS, our immune system can no longer contain the organism and we then get pneumonia. You could drink a jug of Pneumocystis in water and it would do you no harm.

Therefore, assuming you have no other serious immune deficiency, you can be 100% confident that your peumonia is not caused by pneumocystis and has nothing at all to do with kidding your HIV infected friend.

Continue to work with your doctors about your symptoms if they don't continue to clear up on the revised antibiotic regimen.  But you need not worry about pneumocystis or any other infection from your HIV infected friend (including HIV itself).

I hope this has helped. Best wishes for a speedy recovery--  HHH, MD
can you get any opportunistic infections from kissing the hiv girl like cmv or anything else? would it be safe to keep kissing her? having alot of problems with this pneumonia my throat and chest burns real bad when drinkin a pop or anything.
"can you get any opportunistic infections from kissing the hiv girl like cmv or anything else?"

Nope.

"would it be safe to keep kissing her?"

From an HIV or OI standpoint, yes.  I can't comment on what other oral infections she might have.

"my throat and chest burns real bad when drinkin a pop or anything"

Bring it up with your doctor.  Forget your kissing partner's HIV infection.  It has nothing to do with your pneumonia or current symptoms.
An additional thought about your painful swallowing:  ask your doctor whether you might have a yeast infection of the throat or esophagus, which can result from multiple antibiotics.  (But still without any relationship to HIV, either your partner's infection or in you.)  If so, it's easily treated.