HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Positive ANA and HIV
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Positive ANA and HIV

Doctor, In early 2009 I had unprotected sex twice with a guy. We used condoms all other times.  He assured me he was "clean".  In any event I realize the decision was stupid.  Days later I started to get anxious and began to feel all kinds of symptoms, including body tingles, night sweats, headaches and rashes on my hands and arms that came and went within minutes.  Basically I had the worst 3 months of my life!  One of my symptoms was pain in my arm pits.  It's like a deep aching feeling, sort of like a tooth ache. My hiv test results came back negative at 8 weeks and negative again at 12 weeks (may have been at 11.5 weeks).  After receiving my negative test results, the body tingles, night sweats and rashes subsided.  The pain in my arm pits, however, persisted.  I chose to ignore the aches for a while but then I noticed that it wasn't just my arm pits that where aching.  I had the same ache in my elbow creases, and in my groin area.  My hair also started to fall out and the headaches started to come back, although not as bad as before.  My doctor said my hair was likely falling out due to the months of previous anxiety.  I did not mention the aching pain to my doctor for a while as I was hoping it would eventually go away, but it didn't.  I feel these aches every day, usually in one arm pit....then the pain commences in the other arm pit or at my elbow creases.  I finally decided I could not ignore my symptoms and I went to my doctor.  He sent me for testing and it came back for high ANA.  I am now freaking out that somehow my hiv test at 12 weeks wasn't conclusive and that I could possibly have hiv!!  Is this possible?  My doctor is having me do a repeat hiv test for peace of mind and other tests to see whether I suffer from another condition.  He found no swollen lymph nodes on me. I am trying my hardest to remain calm.  He found no swollen lymph nodes on my body. I just received these results today and am trying my hardest to remain calm.  Please help me!