HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Possible body fluids/bacteria in eye

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Possible body fluids/bacteria in eye

About three days ago I went to a gentlemen's club with a group of friends.  I thought I was being careful and avoiding contact until one of the strippers on stage who was entirely nude requested a tip and I proceeded to put my head in her chest after giving a dollar.  I did not notice any fluids or anything on her chest but I knew she had been touching herself on stage and I could only imagine that the guys before me did not have sterile faces.  What is the risk of transmission if she had any fluids on her chest and they had direct contact with my eyes?  Last night I noticed and irritation in my eye and got treated for pink eye?  Could this have made me more susceptible?  Do I have anything to worry about?  I think the eye may be totally unrelated based on the weekend long festivities and the fact that I don't get much sleep.  Please let me know if I should get testing or avoid contact with my wife and children.
Welcome to our Forum.  The events you describe have no known risk for HIV.  HIV is not spread from person to person through touching or through transfer of droplets of infectious material from one person to another.  Similarly, there are no instances in which HIV has been transmitted from person to person through introduction of infected genital secretions into the eye.  If I were you, I would not worry about the possibility of infection through the exposure you describe.  Like you, I suspect that your inflamed eye is unrelated to your trip to the strip club.  EWH
Sir,

Just to make sure I understand correctly.  I have had zero risk during this incident and there is now way I could be exposing my family to the virus through this contact?

I appreciate your response but still want to make sure that I do not need a medical evaluation or testing and I can interact without any fears of passing HIV after this possible exposure.

H
Correct.  No risk.  EWH
Last post I promise.

I have developed a sore area under my chin near my throat.  I think I can feel lymph nodes.  My ribs are sore on the left side mid way and I have had intermittent soreness on my gums....is their the slightest chance that this is related, or something else like my anxiety.  This instance has prompted me to see a cognitive therapist. I hope that will help.

I think the reason I am hung up is because of the information I have seen that speaks of ocular exposures in hospitals and the risks involved.  How is my situation different?  I still would like to think their is no reason to test and no reason I should be concerned about interacting with my family.  Can I put this to rest?

-H
The situation reported for health care workers are very different.  These reports are for KNOWN exposures with DIRECT inoculation.

I will not play the "what if" game.  This thread will now be over.  I recommend you relax and stay off of the Internet.  EWH