HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Potential hiv exposure- do I need testing?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Thanks for taking the time to review my question. I am in a long-time relationship with my girlfiend but recently had an experience that may have put me at risk for hiv. I met with a transexual (male to female) sex worker. Ultimately I did not have any intercourse but for a period of 10 seconds had inserted my finger into the anus of the sex worker. Immediately thereafter, with no blood on my finger but having a moist finger, I proceeded to masturbate. I am extremely scared and not sure if I am at risk and need testing. Any guidance would e greatly appreciated.

Regards,

PC
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

You had entirely safe sex.  Fingering has never been known to transmit HIV, and although in theory it could carry a slight risk for some infections, this is very rare if it occurs at all.  Based on this single exposure, I would not recommend testing for HIV or any other STD; and if I somehow found myself in your situation, I would continue unprotected sex with my wife with absolutely no fear of infecting her with anything from that encounter.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Please let me know if its possible for anal secretion/mucus to go from my finger to my penis and this contract hiv?
See above.  No risk.
Thank you Dr. Handsfield. As a last question why is it no possible that anal mucus could not have transmitted from my finger to my penis and into my blood via a small unotiable cut.

Thank you again.
Catching HIV requires exposure to large amounts of virus (and therefore large amounts of infected secretions) which also must have access to certain cells that typically are deep in the body.  But the biological reasons for the low risk really don't matter.  The fact is that nobody has ever been known to catch HIV by such events -- and if you think about it, there must have been billions of fingering episodes world wide between infected and uninfected partners.

So don't overthink it.  There is no risk here.  Of course you're still free to be tested if the negative lab results will increase your confidence beyond what my words can do.
Thank you so much Dr.