HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Precum on Herpes Sore - Very Worried!

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Precum on Herpes Sore - Very Worried!

I was involved in mutual masterbation (masturbation) with another man. I do understand that you state that this is a zero risk activity. However, please allow me to express my worries in regard to my situation. I was having an herpes outbreak at the time. The other man had a lot of precum. He masterbated himself prior to masterbating (masturbating) me. He had his precum on his hand and the precum came in contact with the herpes sores on my penis. Does this situation pose any risk for HIV or is it still in the "odds of getting hit by lightning on a sunny day" ballpark. Please help. Thank You
Welcome to the Forum.  I can understand how this might concern you as person with herpes are a bit more likely to acquire HIV than person who do not. Despite this, the exposure was no risk. the reasons I say this are as follows:
1.  You do not know that your partner had HIV.  Odds are he did not.
2. If he did, the amount of HIV is pre-ejaculatory fluid is less than on ejaculate.
3.  HIV is a fragile virus which dies very quickly on exposure to the environment.  
4.  the transfer of virus from one site (like your partner's penis) to another person (like you) on a person’s hands is not at all efficient, the virus dies during the process.  

Taken together, these considerations combine to make your exposure virtually no risk.  I can understand that you might choose to test in the future related to this exposure but I certainly would not worry.   EWH
Thank you for your response. Should I assume that herpes makes one more likely to contract HIV only through penetration - anal and vaginal? Are there still no cases of hand-to genital transmission? If so, I would be additionally comforted through the realization that HSV is very common and that situations like mine are very likely. I certainly am not doubting you, it is just that I am having difficulty putting my mind at ease. One more thing - do you thing it is safe to have unprotected sex with my partner after this situation?

Thank you so much for your time.
I am sorry to continue the comments but I just hoping you could advise me to go ahead with unprotected sex with my partner or should I get tested? I have read your comments on no transmission through hand-to genital contact. Could my situation be the first?
No, you will not be the first.

There is no reason to worry that you might have acquired HIV from the events you described.  Your partner is not at risk. EWH
Thank you so much - I look forward to a good night's sleep and wish you the same.
Hello Dr. Hook -

For final peace of mind I was tested at on the 28th day with a test called HIV-1 P24 antigen qualitative w/ reflex neutralization. The result was non-reactive. Is this the same as the DUO test or do I still need to get a separate antibody test for the results to be conclusive?
The test you had appears to only test for the p24 antigen and not HIV antibody.  To be the equivalent of a DUO test you would need the antibody test too.  EWH