HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Prude Panic

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Prude Panic

Normally, I am extremely responsible.  Yet while extremely depressed in Nicaragua during the summer 2012, I had unprotected vaginal sex with a young man who's sti/hiv status I didn't and still don't know.  The encounter was approximately 1 minute in duration and one time.  Negative blood test (ICMA through labcorps) at 12 weeks, negative doctor prescribed blood test at 22 weeks (Quest), and then a negative oraquick test at 28 weeks.  Is it conclusive that I am HIV free?  Confirmation from a medical expert is all I need, I beseech you.  I feel as I am going to give myself a panic attack worrying.  Thank you for your time.    
Tags: Panic, HIV, vaginal
Welcome to the Forum.  Your exposure was statistically low risk and yes, on average, in the unlikely circumstance that your partner had HIV, your risk for infection would still be no greater than 1 in 1000 and, given how brief your contact was, probably less.  In addition  your multiple negative tests provide absolute assurance that you did not get HIV from the exposure you describe.  That your encounter occurred in Nicaragua does not change my assessment, or your risk, in any way.  There is no reason at all for concern and no need for further testing.

I hope that my comment is helpful to you. EWH
Does the fact that my experience occurred in Nicaragua change the statistics posted on the thread entitled "6 weeks"?  Since my encounter was with a heterosexual male, are the chances of infection still 1 in 1,000 for known infected partners?
Thank you for your response.  I greatly appreciate it!

One additional question that I forgot to include in the initial post:

- Does having had mono a few years ago change the testing parameters?      - Would mono approximately 6 years ago in any way inhibit the two blood and one oral test from detecting HIV at 12 weeks, 22 weeks and 28 weeks?

Thank you for your initial response and for answering these additional questions!  
No, your prior mono in the past would not change the validity of your test results at all.  EWH
Thank you so much for your patience and help.

One final question.  My paternal grandmother had lupus anti-coagulating blood (but did not have lupus).  If I carried this antibody in my blood, would that alter the test results or time frame for accurate results?

Again, sorry for the paranoia, I just keep coming up with more questions.  I GREATLY appreciate your help and time.
No, this would nto change your blood test results.  I urge you to believe and accept your test results.  eWH