HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Question about past exposure and testing reliability

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

So to make a long story short, I had a sexual encounter a little over 1 year ago with a CSW at a massage parlor in Las Vegas. It was condom protected oral and vaginal. It freaked me out when the act had ended because I came back to my senses and realized the severity of my mistake. Since then I have had the below tests done.

3 Weeks - All STD tests - Negative
3 weeks - DNA by PCR/Antibody blood test - Negative
6 weeks - Antibody blood test - Negative
10 weeks - Antibody blood test - Negative
18 weeks - Antibody blood test - Negative

I have had all kinds of crazy symptoms since but the few that have me troubled and I am still experiencing are; post nasal drip ( i feel like something is stuck in my throat and I am constantly hacking up clear phlegm), lower back pain and joint pain (in wrists, legs, hands, etc..),. The thing that bothers me the most is the post nasal drip. My doctor thinks it may be my acid reflux but I have been taking meds and it doesnt seem to help. Its worse in the morning at times. My wife took all STD tests because were thinking of having a baby and all her tests were negative as well. Anyway, below are my questions about my testing.

1) is post nasal drip or feeling as though phlegm is stuck in throat and constant throat clearing be a sign of STD's pr HIV?

2) are those symptoms indicative of HIV or STD's?

3) should I test now since I am at 1 year?

4) would sever leg pain (not sure if muscle or joint pain) 2 weeks after exposure be due to an STD and HIV?

5) can I fully rely on my results?
Welcome back to our Forum. As is our practice, in preparing to address your questions I reviewed your earlier interactions on Med help sites.  After reviewing it, I'm saddened to see that you continue to worry about your exposure over a year ago.  As I understand it, this encounter was condom protected, making it safe, virtually no risk sex.  Furthermore, your multiple lab tests PROVE that you did not get HIV.  You should not be worried about HIV or that the symptoms you mention are due to HIV.  To be specific:

Post nasal drip is not a symptom of HIV.

No, these symptoms are not indicative of HIV or STDs

There is no medical reason for additional testing or to think that your test results would be any different at this time.  

No, not if your tests were negative.

5) can I fully rely on my results?

Absolutely.

I hope these comments help.  There is no need for further testing.  EWH
Thanks for the reply Doc. This whole ordeal has been hard on me and I guess I am just fearing the worst. In the past year there have been times when my stress levels about this encounter are high and other times when I feel like its all in the past and I feel like I've moved on. I guess I had a relapse when I asked this question.

I recently had an outbreak of "keratosis pilaris" (I think thats what it is...It looks like the pics on google) on my arms. I have an appointment scheduled to see the dermatologist but when I first noticed it, it brought back old feelings of the encounter i had and I started to fear HIV again. To put my mind at rest I have the below questions.

1) Is keratosis pilaris a sign of HIV infection or infection of any STD?

2) I am not sure what generation the HIV blood test that I took was but it was through my doctor and it was sent to LABCORP. Are these blood tests the Antibody ELISA tests?

No.

2) I am not sure what generation the HIV blood test that I took was but it was through my doctor and it was sent to LABCORP. Are these blood tests the Antibody ELISA tests? .

LabCorp is a highly reliable company which has high standards of performance. You should believe their results.  EWH