HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Question

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Question

Hello Doctor

I had vaginal sex with a female and I had condom on, she was very dry and condome was very dry, then I changed condom and still it was very dry, so she gave me a hand job. what is the chances that i could have anything transmitted? Should I get checked?

I Also have question about, how safe are the condoms? Because I read on the web that virus can be transferred even through the condom, what are truth about that?

Help me please

thank you
Welcome to the forum.

By chance, just an hour ago I answered almost exactly the identical question, in a follow-up comment in a thread that started yesterday.

Neither HIV nor any other STD can be transmitted through intact latex or polyurethane.  In theory, it might happen with natural membrane condoms, but even that probably is rare, if it occurs at all.  If a condom is properly used and remains intact, protection against HIV can be considered to be 100% or very close to it.  This is called "biological effectiveness".

Of course condoms are NOT always "correctly used", and sometimes they break.  Therefore, some HIV infections occur in people who rely on condoms for HIV protection over a long period of time and multiple exposures.  This is "use effectiveness" and it's always less than biological effectiveness.  These issues are addressed in more detail, and on an STD-by-STD basis, in the thread linked below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/How-safe-are-condoms-when-used-correctly/show/665887

As for your particular exposure, it is statistically very unlikely your partner had HIV, especially if she wasn't a commercial sex worker, injection drug user, or otherwise at special risk for HIV.  Even with those things, it's still unlikely.  But even if she had HIV, the dryness or amount of vaginal moisture probably makes little difference in risk; and HIV is never transmitted by hand-genital contact.  I would consider this a no-risk exposrue with regard to HIV.

I hope these comments have been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
thank you doctor.
So there is no need to get checked because of that?
From a medical or risk standpoint, it is rarely necessary to be tested for HIV after any single exposure, and certainly no need from the safe event you have reported.  But of course you are free to be tested if my comments don't settle things for you and you would be further reassured by having a negative HIV test in a few weeks.