HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Rapid Result HIV test 7.5 Weeks post exposure

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I had an unprotected vaginal intercourse with a man in the military twice in one night. Neither times did he ejaculate in me. I tested exactly 18 days later for all stds including HIV. All tests came back negative. I tested again at 7.5 weeks at Planned Parenthood with the rapid results test. I dont have any indications he is positive and have been told by mutual friends he is a great guy. I am so scared and anxious and to make matters worse he deployed a week later so I couldnt discuss my concerns. Just got caught up in the moment. I was also advised he would have not been deployed unless he passed the HIV test.

Should I be this concerned? Do I need further testing?  
Welcome to our Forum and the likelihood that you have HIV is very, very low.  We typically tell clients that the results of an 8 week test should be considered definitive and thus your 7.5 week test is just a little bit early.  However, the chance that your partner has HIV is very, very low since persons in the military are tested yearly and are not permitted to stay in the service in infected. Thus, putting the facts that your 7.5 week test is negative an the fact that you can be confident that he does not have HIV together, you really have nothing to worry about and, in my opinion, do not need further testing.  (Rapid test results are just as reliable as laboratory based tests.)

Your tests for other STDs are reliable and should be taken as proof that you did not get other STDs through this exposure either.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH.  
Just curious as other posts have mentioned 6 weeks can be conclusive.
I cannot speak for others  Here are the facts.  With currently availble, standard antibody tests, results are conclusive at 8 weeks.  With the recently approved combination HIV p24 antigen.HIV antibody tests, results are conclusive at 4 weeks.  EWH
Thank you for the information, to conclude my questions I was 2 days shy of the 8 weeks doe these 2 days matter much?
No- believe your test results.  Time for you to stop worrying.  EWH