HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Receiving Anal

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Receiving Anal

Good day Doctors , My friend told me about this forum and im glad to ask my question here.
I am a guy who always recieve anal from diffirent partners but always protected, I have heard that the anal sex is the highest risk for HIV transmission specially the reciever person. I asked my GB about that and he confirmed this info (even with condom).

Ok now im scared , I thought condoms are %100 protection for HIV, but now my GB changed the information to (even wi a condom it still carry the highest risk for HIV transmission).

I would like to know your opinion about this case please, can condoms prevent HIV in receiving anal ?
If not, What do you estimate the risk?

thanks
Welcome to the Forum. The information you have received is correct.  If you are having sex with an infected partner, the highest risk for infection is with receptive anal intercourse which leads to about 1 infection per 100 sexual encounters, active anal intercourse (the top- leads to infection about once in every 200 exposures).  For men who have sex with women, the risk for infection is about one if every 1000 sex acts and with oral sex the risk if far lower, less than 1 infection for every 10,000 exposures.

Condoms, when used throughout the sex act and without breakage, dramatically and nearly completely transform all exposures into safe sex with virtually no meaningful risk for infection.  Unfortunately condoms break about 1% of the time they are used in heterosexual vaginal intercourse and, although the estimates are less precise, it is clear that with rectal intercourse, the risk of breakage is higher.

There are a number of things you can do if you plan to continue to have sex with multiple new and causal sexual partners.  These include asking them if they have HIV or not and when they were last checked for infection.  In addition, 100% condom use will help to keep you safe.  Should a condom break, it becomes important for you and your partner to test as soon as possible afterwards as if one of you does have infection, post -exposure prophylaxis is highly effective if started within 72 hours of exposure.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH
thanks for your reply,

are there any known cases of hiv transmitted through protected recieving anal?
This is a "what if" question.  There are persons who claim to have been infected despite condom protected anal intercourse.  They are extraordinarily rare and many experts do not believe that the exposures were truely unprotected.

Plese no more "what if" questions, they really don't help you or provide useful information.  EWH