HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Recent Fellatio with Male: Giving/Reception

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Good evening, about 2 hours ago, bi-curiosity got the best of me. I am hoping to gauge your thoughts on the potential consequences of my actions. Condom was not used. I performed oral sex on him for a total of maybe 2-4 minutes, but it was never consistent. During this activity I made contact with his penis, scrotum, and surrounding areas with both hands and did make slight, brief contact with his anus, using maybe two of my fingers. Never came close to penetrating. He meanwhile performed fellatio on me for probably about the same duration of time, and I would say he did all the same less initiating contact with my anus. My biggest fear is the fact that (of course) I have a small sore in the back of my mouth on my inner cheek which looks to be healed over, no bleeding, but considered an "open sore" Neither of us ejaculated. It was a CL meet and he stated that he was disease free, but never alluded to having been tested. I cannot believe I was so foolish. I immediately showered thoroughly and washed my mouth out with soap. He looked very clean and had no outward indications, which I realize could mean practically zilch. HIV is my overwhelming concern, but I am fully aware I may have put myself at risk for a plethora of other STDs.
1.) What is your take on this scenario in terms of potential HIV exposure?
2.) How long should I wait to get a standard STD test done for a number of different diseases, less HIV test, which I plan to get 31 days from today's date for it to be most conclusive?
3.) Im thinking it to be unsafe/irresponsible to resume sexual activity with my normal female partner (whom I know is disease free) at this time prior to testing results?
Thanks again for all of your time and any feedback.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You had entirely safe sex with regard to HIV.  The virus is rarely if ever sexually transmitted unless a bare penis (no condom) enters another person's vagina or rectum.  Oral sex carries little or no risk.  The event you described carries virtually no risk of other STDs either.  To your specific questions:

1) No risk at all.

2) From a medical or risk perspective, no HIV or STD testing is necessary.  But if you need negative testing to be confident you weren't infected, you could have a throat swab for gonorrhea culture (valid any time more than 2-3 days after exposure) and HIV and syphilis blood tests in a few weeks.  But personally,  if I somehow were in your situation, I would not be tested for anything.

3) The risk is sufficiently low that I recommend you continue your normal sexual relationship and practices with your partner. Again, that's what I would do with my wife if I had an experience like yours.

I hope this has helped. Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Doctor,

Thank you so much for your rapid and thorough response. You have certainly put my mind at ease and I am quite relieved to hear that I will not be placing my regular partner at risk as a result of my lapse in judgement.

We are truly blessed to have the capability to reach out to such fine doctors such as yourself.

All the best.
I'm glad to have helped.  Thanks for the thanks.