HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Receptive Anal - Oil Based Lube

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Receptive Anal - Oil Based Lube

Hi Dr. Hook / HHH -

I hope you are well.

I had an exposure last night that frankly I am terrified about.  I had receptive anal sex with a gay male porn star.  The partner was an african american.  He did use a condom, and the condom stayed intact the entire time.  He said he was HIV negative and even showed me his testing results that said "non-reactive".  I did not see the date of the HIV test, but he alluded it was recent (it was in a hotel room, as he was traveling).

What worries me is he used an oil based lubricant that he alluded they use in the porn industry quite a bit.  We had sex for about 15 minutes.  When he pulled out it seemed the condom did not rip during sex but i'm not 100% sure, as he went to the bathroom and flushed the condom down the toilet.  I did not feel the condom rip during sex.  After sex when I expressed how I was worried about him using an oil based lubricant and the condom potentially ripping, he assured me the condom did not rip.  

Now i'm worried what if he was intentionally trying to infect me with HIV by using an oil based lubricant?  I wouldn't think he would try and do this.  I know porn stars have a lower rate of HIV and STDs, however he works for a lower end studio and has only done about three shoots.

Should I go to the ER today and request PEP?  What should I do?

Thank you,

Mike
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment. For the reasons noted below, the exposure you mention was quite low risk and should not be a cause for concern. It certainly should not be a reason for you to seek PEP.

First your partner. Within the porn industry, actors are required to get regular checks for STIs, including HIV.  If they are HIV infected, they cannot work.  Thus your partner is likely to be HIV negative and it is in his best interest to work to remain that way as in the films, they rarely used condoms.  Further, my guess is that he used a condom more to protect himself from you than the other way around for the reasons I mentioned.

Second, you are correct that petroleum-based lubricants are well known to WEAKEN latex condoms increasing the risk of breakage.  Nonetheless, even with petroleum-based condoms, most do not break with usage.  It is unlikely that your condom failed and you were not aware of it.  Further, after sex, why would he lie about the condom- sex was over.

I suspect this is a no risk exposure and that there is really no reason for concern or even testing.  I understand that you may choose to test for your own peace of mind but if you do, I would not worry while waiting for results.  I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
Hi Dr. Hook -

Very helpful.  

Thank you,

Mike
Glad to help. EWH