HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Rimming Cunnilingus and Bleeding Gums

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Rimming Cunnilingus and Bleeding Gums

Dear Doctor,

First Merry Christmas for Everyone.

This is my question:

One week ago, I have sex with two sex workers (simultaneously). No insertive sex (vaginal or anal), only I perform on them rimming and cunnilingus (unprotected oral sex and rimming) for many hours.  My tongue and my lips were burns for perform oral sex by many hours (I notice two burns under my tongue in the next day a white cape under my tongue). I have bleeding gums, and I don't know if they were menstruating or have any STD. They gave me unprotected fellatio on me(little minutes)

I don't have sex since August and was tested in December for HIV and take a VDRL negative for both.

1. Could I say that this is my unique risky sexual relation because is my unique sexual relation since August and was tested in December (13 weeks after) for HIV and take and VDRL (negative both) or could I have other asyntomatic STD ??

2. What are the odds for acquiring HIV or any STD's if they have HIV or any STD??

3. Should I be tested for HIV and others STD's and what are the correct times for screening??

4. Is my risk high??

5. Should I be request for PEP (HIV)??

6. Should I be request for my doctor a preventive treatment  for Gonorrhea, chlamydia, HPV, syphilis, HepB??

7. I have Anxiety and I am in psyquiatric treatment Prozac and Clonazepam could give a false non-reactive result in the test for HIV and other STD??

Thanks.

OBR.

Welcome to our Forum.  The exposure that you describe is limited to oral sex and thus is not something to be worried about.   The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one gives or receives oral sex (including analingus - rimming) from an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Many experts state there is virtually no risk at all from oral sex and both Dr. Handsfield and I agree.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.   In fact we do not even routinely recommend testing for exposures such as yours.  

As for your specific questions:

1. Yes, this is a unique situation. your previous testing has ruled out previous infections.

2.  See above. No risk for HIV and close to no risk for other STDs.  No testing is warranted.

3.  You do not need testing for HIV. If you wish to be tested for other STDs, the only STD which is even a reasonable possibility is gonorrhea and sites of exposure (your throat) could be tested at any time more than 2-3 days after exposure.  If you choose to be tested, I predict your test will be negative.

4.  No, your risk is not high!!!

5.  Absolutely not. To give you PEP for the exposure you describe would be inappropriate.

6.  No.  See above.  

7.  No, these medications do not give false positive tests for any STD, including HIV.  That you need them however says a lot about your risk.  My guess is that your anxiety over this exposure is a far greater problem for you than your risk for STD or HIV.

Take care. EWH
Thanks a lot off Doctor, I will do my best effort for my psiquiatric treatment for leave my irrational fears about HIV and STD according your answer :) . The mind and the fears can produce more sicks than  this particular exposure  :).
Thanks a lot off Doctor, I will do my best effort for my psiquiatric treatment for leave my irrational fears about HIV and STD according your answer :) . The mind and the fears can produce more diseases than  this particular exposure  :).
Glad to help.  Take care. EWH