HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Risk Assessment for STD/HIV

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risk Assessment for STD/HIV

Recently I received a "sensual" full body massage. It was strange because usually the masseuse (female) is topless.  In this case she was fully nude.  She gave me a complete massage including performing the following:
1) Laid on top of me nude
2) Put her face near my scrotum and blew air and licked scrotum lightly (did not ever lick penis shaft)
3)Sat naked on my stomach and gave me a hand job ( I did not observe any fluid from her on me or near my penis)

In reading many of the posts, I've seen where Dr. Handsfield or Hook would seem to say the risk of STD/HIV is zero or extremely low.  However, my  first question is should I get tested anyways?  My concern would be "what if I had an abrasion on my penis that allowed fluid I did not observe to get in" . Same goes for my urethra.

Second, should I get an early detection HIV test (DNA/RNA based) after two weeks?
Third, what about early tests for herpes or other STDs?
Fourth, how long should I wait before resuming normal sexual activities with others?  I have no symptoms at this point but do not want to be reckless.

Thank you
Tags: HIV STDs herpes, help question
Thanks for reviewing other responses to questions like yours.  You have correctly predicted my response.  You can play all sorts of "what if" questions through your mind, wuch as whether a penile "abrasion" might raise the risk, or vaginal fluid somehow made it into your urethra.  The important fact is that exposures like this are not known to ever result in STD transmission, and absolutely there is no risk for HIV.  In other words, since your penis did not enter your massuse's vagina, rectum or mouth, there was no risk. And as for HIV, it is statistically very unlikely such a person is infected anyway.

The responses to question 2-4 stem from the reply to the first.  Since you were not at risk, there is no need to be tested for HIV or any STD and you can safely continue unprotected sex with other people.  Of course if you are otherwise sexually active (outside a mutually monogamous relationshp), then HIV/STD testing may be appropriate, if not done in the past year or so.  But not because of the events described here.

I hope this has helped. Best wishes-- HHH, MD