HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Risk after receiving oral sex

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risk after receiving oral sex

Dear Dr,

I received an unprotected blowjob from a man. I did NOT ejaculate in his mouth. Although he asserts he is negative, I feel worried that he could be lying. I was tested at 4 weeks using a rapid Clearview test = Negative.

Can I forget any worry about contracting HIV?
Welcome to the Forum.  You can set aside any worries that you have about having acquired HIV, even if your partner did not tell the truth about his HIV status. Oral sex is the safest form of penetrative sexual contact and there are no instances in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted in the course of receipt of oral sex. In addition, your recent HIV test is further strong evidence that you did not get HIV- at 4 weeks over 90% of persons with recently acquired HIV infection would have positive tests.  

Bottom line, you can be completely confident that you did not get HIV from the encounter you have described.  I see no reason for concern related to this encounter and no reason for further testing.  EWH
So there is no need to get tested again at 6-8 weeks? Would you have even recommended a test after such an event?

Personally, from a medical perspective, I would not have even recommended testing for you  EWH
Dr,

Just to follow up, I had a negative Clearview test conducted at 6 weeks, and another full blood draw test, which my doctor called a "Reflex test" done at 7 weeks. Both were negative.

Are these final and fully conclusive? Thanks.
Yes, these results further confirm that your no rsik event did not lead to HIV.

That will be it for this thread.  EWH
Doctor,

I wanted to follow up and let you know I received a negative Clearview test 10 weeks after my last oral exposure. My fears have diminished.

My final question is: Is it possible to have HIV and continually test negative even beyond the window period?? Are there certain people that simply never show up on tests but still have it?

An answer would be GREATLY appreciated, please.