HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Risk from Receiving Felatio From Woman

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risk from Receiving Felatio From Woman
Doctor,

Need your guidance concerning testing for HIV/STDs.  I recently received unprotected felatio from a woman I know for about 5 minutes.  I did ejaculate.  No cuts on my penis.  No apparent open sores on her mouth.  Also, some heavy kissing.  

I don't believe I have any concerns for HIV - right?  However, what about other STDs - should I get tested.  If so, how long should I wait before testing?
Welcome to our Forum.  You have little reason for worry and no reason for concern related to HIV.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  

As for other STDs, oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection) within 5-7 days after exposure.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  In your case, your exposure was brief; I would urge you not to worry. If you must, you could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested at this time.  In the absence of symptoms, the tests will almost certainly be negative.  

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH