HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Risks from kissing with canker sores

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risks from kissing with canker sores

I was wondering if the is ANY risk to HIV if I kissed someone, very briefly and not very deep, if I had a canker sore in my mouth and he was positive? He says he is negative but just wanted to see if I need to test over this incident. As I said it was only for a matter of seconds and barely tongue-to-tongue kissing. Thanks for your help
HIV probably has never been transmitted by kissing -- and if you think about it, on a worldwide basis there must be at least a billion kisses per day, miliions of them in the presence of canker sores, gum inflammation, or similar lesions.  Yet no HIV transmission.  No risk at all, even if your kissing partner had HIV.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thanks for your response, I was just concerned because of the canker sore and since some websites say open sores are an avenue in for the virus. I do realize that saliva has inhibitors to the virus-but what if there was blood. Thanks again
Even if blood were present, little or no risk. Again, just think it through:  More than a billion kisses per day worldwide, and the frequency with which people have sores in their mouths or bleeding gums, yet not one case ever suspected to have been transmitted that way.  You're not going to be the first!

You prevent HIV by avoiding sharing of injection equipment with peole and by avoiding unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  That's it.  You need do nothing else to assure a lifetime of zero risk of catching HIV.  It's true; believe it.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I try to protect myself at all times. I only receive oral and perform oral-anal, and occasionally "finger" a guy. I have read that there have once again been no documented cases of transmission from receiving oral, oral-anal or fingering and hope this too is true.
Also true.

That's all for this thread.  Stay safe.