HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Roommates and HIV

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Roommates and HIV
My brother is gay and has a lot of gay friends over to his apt. He recently has an opening in his apt and asked me if I wanted to move in with him. I believe he is HIV negative and practices safe sex, but I can't speak for his friends.

In a living situation, do I need to be concerned about getting HIV at all, such as through sharing glasses or a bathroom? Like what about with papercuts and stuff like that?
Welcome to the HIV forum.

HIV is not transmitted except by sex or overt exchange of blood, of the sort that occurs when drug users share injection equipment.  It is not transmitted by routine contact among people who share living quarters, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.  For example, even in unhygienic conditions, the children and siblings of people living with people with HIV never get infected.

In other words, you have no worries, regardless of paper cuts and other minor skin injuries.  It makes sense to avoid sharing razors, however.  Should your brother ever get HIV, and if he ever has an injury that requires you clean up his blood, then it would be smart to use latex gloves and/or to clean well with soap and water afterward.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD