HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Roommates and HIV
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Roommates and HIV

My brother is gay and has a lot of gay friends over to his apt. He recently has an opening in his apt and asked me if I wanted to move in with him. I believe he is HIV negative and practices safe sex, but I can't speak for his friends.

In a living situation, do I need to be concerned about getting HIV at all, such as through sharing glasses or a bathroom? Like what about with papercuts and stuff like that?
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the HIV forum.

HIV is not transmitted except by sex or overt exchange of blood, of the sort that occurs when drug users share injection equipment.  It is not transmitted by routine contact among people who share living quarters, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.  For example, even in unhygienic conditions, the children and siblings of people living with people with HIV never get infected.

In other words, you have no worries, regardless of paper cuts and other minor skin injuries.  It makes sense to avoid sharing razors, however.  Should your brother ever get HIV, and if he ever has an injury that requires you clean up his blood, then it would be smart to use latex gloves and/or to clean well with soap and water afterward.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers