HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Scare of HIV Transmission with semen touch on my opening anus

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi Doctors,

I am 32 years old male live in Vietnam and married with two kids. Always have protected sex outside my marriage relationship. I am dead scare of incidence that happened to me two weeks ago where my colleague and I went for massage in Ho Chi Minh City, VN. In the room with CSW, once i lied down on the bed i touched condom of last clientel of which may be left there for almost 5-10 minutes (i think) or so and it touched my leg (I believed there is no risk due to in-tact skin). I had protected oral sex until ejaculation and no sexual penetration at all with CSW. What concern me the most was that the CSW picked the condom up with her bare hand throw it to the rubbish bin, i should ask her to clean her hand before she touched my anus few seconds later. Here are some of the burining questions that i have:

(1) Am i at risk of HIV tranmission if the genital fluid (i.e., semen) of the last clientel on her fingers (still wet) then touch my on opening anus (but not into the anus) for about 30 seconds- 1 minute? Is HIV ever transmit in such manner? Reason is that i went to see local doctor and he told me that if it still wet, it is infectious. That is why the local doctor opinion took control over me.

(2) I went for the HIV blood test at relaible international clinic (HIV 1 & 2 Antibodies screening) yesterday it is two weeks after exposure, if test come out negative does it reliable for two weeks period? and will do it 6 weeks later. I had my HIV blood test two times in the last 6 months it all came out negative. (3) shall i continue to have sex with my wife without concern? Am i put her at risk?

(4) Two weeks after exposure i had a sore throat and swollen nodhes on my right groin and under my jaw? Is this related to HIV infection?

I need your medical expertise to assess my risk to help me clear off my mind and it seems that incidence take control over me now. Doctor, highly appreciated your the response in advance.

Welcome to the forum.  Bottom line: there was no significant risk and you should not be worried about HIV.

1) HIV cannot be transmitted by such minor contact with genital secretions.  I doubt HIV has ever been transmitted in this way.  Further, my understanding is that HIV is not very common in most sex workers in Vietnam.

2) Two weeks is too early for meaningful test results.  Your negative tests are only slightly reassuring.  (I'm not sure what you mean about your negative tests over the past 6 months.)

3) As for sex with your wife, of course no distant online expert can guarantee someone isn't infected. But if I were in your situation, I would continue unprotected sex with my wife with no fear for her health and safety.

4) These symptoms do not sound like those of a new HIV infeciton.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
In response to the follow-up questions you asked in a new thread:

I meant there was absolutely no risk that you could have caught HIV from the exposure you described, regardless of whether the sex worker had semen on her fingers.  Your local doctor is correct that HIV persists in moist secretions, but the virus is never transmitted by such brief, minor exposure.

I am confused by the timing of your blood tests.  Your initial question suggests you were tested only 2 weeks after your recent CSW exposure, but your follow-up comment refeerred to negative tests in you and your wife in the past 6 months.  Of course those earlier results are irrelevant to a more recent exposure.