HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Scared of HIV and STDs

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Scared of HIV and STDs

Dear Doctor,
First, I would like to say sorry for my bad English because i'm not a native speaker.
Recently I had an intimate massage in Thai Lan. The sex worker was naked and she sat on my back. During the massage, she slided on my back and I can feel her vagina sticky on my back.
After the massage, I noticed several acnes and some tissue trauma on my back.
At that time, I was very upset so I’m not sure she had wound or vaginal fluid on her vagina ? But I feel very panic. I'm not only scared from HIV, I am scared from all STDs.
Doctor, can you please tell me what is my risk of HIV and STDs infection from the sex worker through the wound on my back  (If the sex worker is infected)
Do I need to test for HIV and STDs?
Thank you for your time to read through my problem. Only your answer make me feel comfort and reduce my stress
Welcome to the Forum.  concerns about intimate contact following an exposure that, in retrospect, you wish you did not have is understandable but fortunately, is not something you need to worry about.  STDs are not transmitted through the sort of contact you describe and the acne lesions on your back do not change this in any way.  There is no medical need for testing in this situation.  If you think it might help to put your mind at rest you could test to prove to yourself that you were no infected.  You can test for gonorrhea and chlamydial infection at any time, for syphilis with a blood test at 4-6 weeks and for HIV with a combination HIV p24 antigen/HIV antibody test at 4 weeks following the event. Whenever you test however I am confident that you will find that you did not get an STD from this exposure and, as I said, there is no medical need for testing.

I hope my comments, as well as those on our Community sites will be helpful to you.  EWH
Dear Mr. EWH
Thanks for you comments
Base on your answer, I understand I have no risk of HIV and STDs infection. Is it right?
Correct.  EWH
Dear Mr. EWH
I can not sleep well last night. I am confident that during the massage, she slided on my back and I am sure that her vaginal mucus sticky on my back, but unfortunately, there are some acne lesions on my back. Do you have any risk of HIV and STDs infection?
Thanks for your comments
This question has already been answered.  Repeating your question will not change my answer.  Please see my answer above.  EWH
Dear Mr.EWH
As you said above: "Whenever you test however I am confident that you will find that you did not get an STD from this exposure and, as I said, there is no medical need for testing."
I understand that " STDs are including HIV ". Is it right?
Thanks for your answer
Correct. EWH