HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Stressed. Please help me, HIV risk ?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Stressed. Please help me, HIV risk ?

Hello Doc. I am a 27 year old male. I had visited Cambodia last week for tour. I was tempted into having sex with a prostitute. Here is what happened,  I first insisted on using a condom and asked her to put on a condom on my penis first and  I got a blowjob with condoms on my penis. Then I fingered her vagina and I made sure my fingers do not have any recent cuts or injuries before that. After that I had vaginal intercourse with condoms on and after some time I put on a second condom on the first condom.

However the intercourse sessions lasted for little more than a hour and the condom didn't break. I didn't kiss her and there was no mouth to mouth fluid exchange and I didn't suck on her nipples.Then I had sex on the shower with condoms on and then I ejaculated inside the condom.However my main concern are that the condoms didn't cover the full shaft of the penis as my penis is small and the condom didn't cover around 4 cm of the bottom shaft. Is there a cause of concern about this ? And when I had the shower sex is it possible that her vaginal fluid would have gone inside my condom when the water from the shower was showering on both of us and I had sex in the standing position where both of us were standing in the shower and having sex. After sex I made sure I washed my hand with soap then removed the condom carefully, there seem to be no hole on the first condom and both the condoms were intact except for the shaft region which wasn't covered fully by the condom. Do you think I have a possible HIV exposure by considering the prostitute may be infected with HIV before.And last what are the possibilities that when she was giving blowjob she may have put a small hole inside the condom. Thank you so much. I know I had asked too many questions. I am just worried that I may get infected when I read the condom instructions that condom is not 100% safe but will effectively reduce the STD's.And I don't know what it really means. And now I am having a sore throat.
Welcome to our Forum. I'll be pleased to comment.  Before I address your concerns about the effectiveness of your condoms, let me remind you that in Cambodia most commercial sex workers do not have HIV and even when they do, most exposures do not lead to infection.  For UNPROTECTED VAGINAL intercourse there is, on average, only one infection for every 1000 exposures (i.e. 99.9% of exposures do not lead to  infection).  

In your case your decision to use a condom made your sex virtually entirely safe. Condoms are highly effective as long as they are worn throughout sex and as long as they do not break.  Your condom did not break.  If it had broken you would have seen it- condoms break wide open when they fail, they do not fail or leak just a little.  That the condom did not cover your entire penis and that the base of your penis was uncovered does not change this- condoms need to cover the tip of the penis to protect against HIV and it sounds like your condom did that.

I  hope these comments are helpful to you.  Please do not worry.  I see no reason for concern nor any medical reason for testing for HIV or other STIs. EWH