HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Symptoms 8-14 Years Later?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Symptoms 8-14 Years Later?
I am a 33 year old female.  I am married, and have been with my husband for six years.  I had some stupid sexual experiences, mostly me performing oral sex unprotected approximately 11-14 years ago.  There were also two additional risky episodes: one experience where the condom broke and another where insertion without protection resulted in pregnancy, both of which were approximately 8-9 years ago.
I had an HIV test Friday and feel ill going over all of this in my mind.
My question is, would I be having any symptoms now, 8-14 years after these experiences, that I would be able to recognize?
I have checked many of the websites, and I don't have any symptoms at all, but, am still very worried.
Thanks in advance for the advice.  I checked all forums, but didn't see my question anywhere.
The chance you have HIV from the encounter you describe is zero, for practical purposes.  Most people with HIV would have gotten deadly ill by now. But some people survive that long without apparent health problems.  Anyway, the blood test will tell the story; all else is guesswork.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I should add, I contacted the person with whom the unprotected incident occurred.  It wasn't even sex, just insertion.  They are now married with a child, and I assume them to be fine.
How common would you say it is for someone to be asymptomatic 8-14 years out?  I have to wait nearly a week for results.
How is insertion not sexual intercourse?  Just curious.
Just went in.  Wasn't prolonged or motion.
How did you make out? I'm in a simliar situation. If I was exposed to hiv it would have been 13-14 years ago. I'm not have serious symptoms relating to hiv. I had my test done yesterday. I've been throwing up with worry every since, can't eat, can't sleep... I'm not sure whats worse knowing or not knowing either way its destroying me. I've been living in fear for 14 years now. Afraid to know afraid not to know. I finally took the step.