HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Symptoms After DUO Test

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Symptoms After DUO Test

Hi Doctors, please read my previous question to be up to date with my situation. At day 41 I had a rapid DUO test which was negative, I rang the manufacturer who produces it for the NHS and he assure me that I am negative and that the test is over 99% accurate at 28 days and closer to 100% at 41. My encounter was on 19th November and for the past week I have a bad sore throat, and today I have just noticed what looks to be an ARS or HIV rash. I have also been getting small individual red spots on my body which disappear after a day.

3 days after the exposure when a swab was take the Doctor said I had puss cells but no STD showed up. Can anxiety cause rashes and spots? I have noticed this rash after looking at pictures of other rashes. Is my test conclusive?

Tests I've had.

Rapid antibody at 28 days
Rapid DUO at 41 days.

Welcome back to the Forum.  In situation in which symptoms suggestive of ARS and test results at a time when results are reliable disagree, the tests always "win".  The symptoms you describe are quite non-specific.  Believe your tests.  There is no need for further testing relate to your November exposure.  I hope your sore throat is better soon.  EWH
Hi Doctor, thanks for the reply. How do I move on from this? I can't seem to shake this notion of HIV because it has consumed my every thought for the past 8 weeks. Every little thing that goes wrong I think it's HIV related. I am definitely HIV negative?
You need to believe the tests.  If you cannot there is something else bothering you-guilt?  Perhaps you should talk this through with someone.   EWH
Hi Doctor, I just thought back to the event and the woman ejaculated twice, I'm not sure if the condom was still intact the second time though. Does this change anything?

I don't think it's guilt as I dont have a wife/girlfriend but I've always been a hyperchondriac.

The rash went away overnight, sore throat seems to have gone uswel.
No, this makes no difference in my assessment of my recommendations.  EWH
Hi Doctor, do the test results depend on which blood group your in?
No, blood group has no influence on test results for HIV.  EWH
Thanks for the reply Doctor.

3 days after the incident when I went to the GUM clinic they gave me tablets for chlamydia because I had puss cells but the tests taken that day showed I didn't have it. My question is could the chlamydia tablets effect my DUO test result (taken at 41 days, tablets taken at 3 days). I also had another full STD check at 41 days again (different clinic), all negative.

Also I remember some of the oral was deep throat, I know this doesn't change anything but I still have to ask you.

Do the tests now rule out any symptoms and exposure history?

Many thanks
Your day 41 negative DUO test provides far more reliable information than symptoms. Beleive the test, not the symptoms which are non-specfic.  Not the therapy you received would not change your test results.

One last time. Believe you test results.  You did not get HIV from the exposure you described.

That's all for this thread.  EWH
Hi Doctor, well I've gone a bit crazy recently. I started to think what if it wasn't a DUO test. I specifically told them I came especially to get a rapid DUO test, they said the health advisor would speak to me. We talked and she agreed to it, I remember seeing P24 written on the strip itself and even asking her is this a DUO test, to which she said yes and I replied with I just have to ask sorry. She told me it was 95% accurate but afterwards she seems so relived for me.

I rang THT today due to my madness and he just told me to relax, the anxiety is getting the best of me (THT did not make the test, I went to the wrong clinic). He said it doesn't matter who makes it, it won't change anything. I seem to have gone into a cycle of what if's and no further tests will get me out of it, only I can get out of it.

I guess my anxiety's best weapon is not to believe I've got a DUO which would make your advice invalid. I have to resist calling the clinic and asking them if it was definitely a DUO as it will only fuel my anxiety further but can I take the risk that it wasn't? This was all done by the NHS so they don't usually agree to rapid DUO tests as they are expensive and it was only given to me to move on (according to the guy at THT).

Many thanks Doctor ( a response would be great please :) )

THT is Terrence Higgins Trust
You need to focus on getting your anxiety under control, not worry about the test.  You need to move on.  

Future questions will be deleted without comment.  EWH
Doctor, I thought I'd let you know I also tested negative with an Insti test at 80 or 81 days (do you count the day of the exposure?). Not that I doubted you but I wanted peace of mind in the hope that it would stop my anxiety, just 3/4 days shy of 12 weeks which didn't concern the NHS nurse, is that good enough for the golden 12 weeks mark?. I'll never do something so stupid again.