HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Symptoms after 3 month negative antibody?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctors,
Thank you in advance for your professional advice.  Short description of events, unprotected vaginal sex with a girl I later found out was a stripper.  This was a total of 3 to 5 minutes tops as I realised this wasnt right.  Anxiety, guilt, and all the stress led me to test muiltiple times.  My last test was at 15 weeks in which I tested negative antibody for HIV and Hep B .  I tested for all other stds at 4 weeks after the exposure and they were negative as well.  A few days ago I woke up with diarhea (diarrhea) and a fever that topped off at about 100 degrees and has since gone a way.  I tested thru a private source because I didnt want this info on my insurance and it is much more convienient.  Im not sure what generation was used, but it was a LabCorp facility.  My questions are:  Is it possible I could be a late seroconverter?  I have seen where months is conclusive for hiv and hep, is this true or should I test again?  I am married and have a child on the way and dont want to put them at risk.  Is my test after 3 months reliable?  Under what circumstances is testing at 6 months reccomended?  What are the chances of having a 3 month negative and later turning positive?  If she was positive, which is pray she wasnt, would my 3 month test still be enough?  Sorry, Im just really scared and every little ache and pain get me thinking about the what ifs???  Its like since this event I just havent felt like my self, I just hope and pray my testing is conclusive so I can move on.  Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • please help (10 replies):
    I had a one time unprotected vaginal sex with a sex work...[more]
  • Any of the Heps (4 replies):
    What are the chances of getting any from unptotected het...[more]
  • hep? (5 replies):
    If i tested HbsAg negative after 5 months post exposure,...[more]
  • Condom Break (9 replies):
    Hi Teak\Mike.. I have been reading your post On HIV ...[more]
  • Guidance plz... (5 replies):
    Hi, 3 months ago I had protected sex with some CSW...[more]
Welcome to our site.  It is time for you to stop worrying about the possibility of having HIV from the exposure you describe.  The recommendations for testing at 3 and even 6 months are the result of two factors- data from older tests no longer used (you really do not need to worry about which generation of tests you were tested with, at this time virtually all tests are far more sensitive that they were even 2-3 years ago when the 3 month recommendation was made) and secondly, the fact that some mostly governmental agencies which have to provide recommendations for virtually everyone without the sort of interactions such as those you get with your doctor or on personalized sites such as this, feel the cannot "afford" to be wrong and therefore make recommendations and guidelines which leave most people unnecessarily nervous for 4-6 weeks longer than the 6-8 weeks it takes virtually everyone to develop HIV antibodies.   The only people who seroconvert later than 8 weeks are those who are taking anti-HIV medications to try to prevent infection or people on powerful immunosuppressive therapy.  The concept of "late seroconversion" is an urban myth with no credible evidence to support it.  

LAbCorp is an excellent lab.  You should believe the result you have gotten from them.  It is now time for you to put the concerns about HIV behind you.  EWH
Thank you so much for your reply.  It was helpful.  Would this time frame for testing be the same for the other blood bourne virus?  My hep be test was as follows, negative antibody, negative surface antigan, and negative e antigen.  This was taken at 16 weeks post exposure.  I have had this diarhea (diarrhea) now for a couple days, I want to believe that it is just a bug.  I had a hard time with my results, i tested muiltiple times.  My last test was to be done at the so called conclusive mark of 3 months, than you hear that 6 months is a suggested.  Its just hard to put things behind you when there is so much conflicting info out there.  I need to stay off the net as does everyone else with high anxiety.  Just one last question.  If she was know to be infected, which i doubt, would 3 months still be conclusive?  Would 3 months be conclusive for a gay man that had unprotected anal with a known pos?  Im asking cause this is assuming the worst possible scenario, which Im trying to shoot for the piece of mind.  If i was your patient, would you suggest a final test at 6 months?  Thanks again for your help doc
A 3 month test is conclusive.  Let's not get into what ifs. Conclusive!

EWH
Thank You doctor, not trying to be repetitive or make you repeat your self.  But is that time line conclusive for hep b as well.  Ive seen where symptoms could occur 60-180 days, being that I had a negative test at 4 months can I consider myself home free in regards to all stds?  I just want to be as safe as possible with my wife and future child.  Thanks again, this will be my last post.
Rarely hepatitis B can take longer to appear but VERY RARELY.  My sincere (and last) advice to you is to accept that you did not get HIV or any other STD and move forward.  I will ave nothing further to say. This ends this thread.  EWH
Good morning Dr.
Its Been a couple months since my last post, and I was wondering if you could please help me with this one question.  Based on my exposure above, I an now passed the 6 month mark and keep wondering if I should be tested again.  I have sex with my wife with the feeling and thought in the back of my mind that 6 months is still considered conclusive.  We want another child and I want to do so with complete confidence that no one is in danger.  Please find the compassion to give me this last answer.  Thank you so much, this has all but consumed my life.
This will be your last reply. If you have further questions, you must start a new thread.  

I told you on April 26 that your 3 month response was conclusive. Thus asking about a 6 month test is rather silly.There is no need for a 6 month test

End of discussion.  EWH