HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
THE POSSIBLE RISK

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

THE POSSIBLE RISK

Dear Doctor...

I am a 32 year old male...few weeks back i had been to macau and had sex in massage parlour...

the first was vaginal sex  with a CSW and it was protected with condom...after that another lady came for massage and i just fingered her with my bare fingers and i could sense her fluid ..but no sex...next day i had another encounter with a CSW and it was also protected with condom...the latter included an oral sex not protected but receival only...after a week i got fever for two days....then after a week i got mild fever again for 2 days with mild tiredness..but no ther symptoms like rashes or body aches.nothing...i noticed two mouth ulcers at that week..this i had another two mouth ulcers..doctor am just freeking out ...now am not even having sex with my wife from 8 weeks as am scared of std/hiv.....this was my outside sexual  episode of this kind in entire life....pl help me to get some peace of mind...

Welcome to the HIV Prevention Forum.  You do not need to worry about HIV risk related to the activities you describe:

1.  It is unlikely that the commercial sex workers you interacted with had HIV.  Most do not.
2.  There is no risk of HIV from condom protected vaginal sex.
3.  There is no risk of HIV from masturbation of a partner
4.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex from an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.
5.  The timing of your fever and tiredness is not clear to me however if it was only a week after your exposure that is too soon for it to be due to HIV.  On the other hand, that is good timing for it to be the sort of non-specific viral illness that many people get from time to time and particularly after traveling.

As for your oral ulcers, they too are non-specific and do not suggest HIV.  My advice is to try to not worry.  As I said, nothing you mention raises concerns and in fact, it is probably not necessary from a medical standpoint to even test.   If you wish to test for common STDs (gonorrhea, chlamydia, NGU, it would be fine to do so at this time and the results will be reliable).  If you feel you must test for HIV, please try to wait until 6-8 weeks after your exposures to test since at that time those results will also be reliable.  

I hope these comments are helpful. You really do not need to worry.  EWH
dear doctor...

the exposure was on 26\05\2010 and the first fever was on 09\06\2010...the second fever was on 19\06\2010....so pl let me know your assessment
Thanks for the additional information. The time between your exposure and your fevers was too long for it to be due to recently acquired HIV.  The second one is in the time frame but as I said above, is not due to HIV for all of the reasopn I have mentioned.  EWH