HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Testing by PCR RNA

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Testing by PCR RNA
I am a male who had a low risk encounter with a CS man. I was the insertive partnern only and I used protection with a lot of lubrication. I am confident the condom did not break or tear. We did have unprotected oral and deep kissing.  I did not finish inside, but finished myself manually (hoping none of his rectal fluids made there way inside my penis).  I fell slightly ill at 7 days (slight fever, slight sore throat, which I understand is too early for ARS), that lasted 5 days.  In any case, I became worried.  I had a Aptima PCR RNA test at 10 days come back not detected.  I had a Clearview Stat Pak at 28 days come back negative.  I had another RNA test at 32 days (not sure if they did an antibody too, as my PCP ordered it) and that came back negative. As a side note at 10 weeks I had an perinanal abscess (near the anus), that was a first for me, but I am told that has nothing to do with any STD, and I have had a wheeze for about 8 weeks.

Tomorrow is 12 weeks (84 days) since the encounter, I am going to get another Stat Pak, what is the probability that I would remain negative?
Welcome to the Forum.  I am confident that your 12 week test will be negative as your combination of antibody test at 28 days and a PCR at 32 days are equivalent (although more expensive) to a DUO (combined HIV p24 antigen/HIV antibody test and thus was conclusive at that time.  

As you point out, your flu-like illness occurred too early to be the ARS and it is flu-season.  Further, your exposures, condom protected anal and unprotected oral and masturbation have no appreciable risk for HIV.

Please don't worry related to this exposure- there is no reason.  EWH
Allow me one more question.  In the 83 days that I have been occupied with this, I have done lots of research (most likely too much in the eyes of some).  As I have seen in forums, and in speaking with my providers, there seems to be debate or perhaps a disconnect, on words like: conclusive and accuracy, especially (and obviously) when discussing the window period, and tests available.  

So my question, if you are a person of some means (as I, with insurance that covers all blood work at no OOP cost to me), in a developed country (USA) does in fact "conclusive" truly apply, to where I would not have to get a 12 week test?  

I ask this because I have been wondering for 8 weeks on end (since my last tests as noted).  I had to talk myself out of getting tested at week 6, 8, 10, and now I am at the supposed window period termination.  I could see if I only, and could only, get Antibody tests, but I am fortunate enough to have these other options.  Besides, does not the viral load spike incredibly high during initial infection (let su say within a month) to where a PCR test would have to catch it (okay two questions)?
Let me answer you this way.  If I were you, I would not feel they need to test further.  Recommendations for further testing given the testing you mention are based on older, out of date information and overly conservative thinking.

I hope this comment helps.  EWH