HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Tiny bit of Anxiety left

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Tiny bit of Anxiety left

Dear Dr Hansfield, I posted a couple of months ago and was answered by Dr Hook. I am posting some questions to you Dr Hansfield as I am in my final stages of getting over this damn HIV Anxiety and just wanted to get your expert advice and answers. These are my questions below :

1. Can i still have HIV although i have taken 27 HIV antibody tests after 168 days/24 weeks from the date of my exposure? 17 of them were hiv Duos.
2. Have you ever had or heard of a case where an individual actually had HIV but no Antigens or Antibodies showed up after 168 days/24 weeks ?
3. Do you believe that I am in the all clear and cannot infect my wife? My exposure was protected vaginal sex with a CSW back in September 27th 2012.
4. I also did a PCR test at 18 days after my exposure and the results stated "Undetectable for HIV". Can i also trust this result ?
5. A local doctor told me that i need to test out to 1 year to be 100% sure and then a nurse told me that I need to test every 6 months for 3 years to be 100% sure that I am HIV negative. This has caused me great stress and anxiety. Should i believe them as another Doctor told me that the longest it can take is 6 months and once i get tested after 6 months with no other exposures and the result is negative I am totally HIV negative. What is your opinion on this as this is stuck in my head and cant go away and has caused some slight anxiety to come back in my life ?
6. Do you agree with a 3month or a 6 month or even a 1 year window period for HIV testing?
7. If i was one of your patients who had an exposure just like mine. What would your advice be for Hiv testing?

Thanks in advance Dr Hansfield as I believe your answers will help me to deal with my HIV anxiety and Phobia.
Am I reading this right?  27 HIV tests???!!!

Going to your closing comment:  "I believe your answers will help me to deal with my HIV anxiety and phobia."

I disagree.  Irrational anxiety and phobias do not get better just being informed of the facts or otherwise having scientific proof.  That you are still concerned about having HIV after 27 negative tests is proof of that.  My answers are not going to help you.  Your obsession with HIV is going to continue until and unless you get professional mental health care about it.  I suggest this from compassion, not criticism.  But since my replies aren't going to help anyway, my replies are very brief.

1. "Can i still have HIV although i have taken 27 HIV antibody tests after 168 days/24 weeks from the date of my exposure? 17 of them were hiv Duos."

No.

2. "Have you ever had or heard of a case where an individual actually had HIV but no Antigens or Antibodies showed up after 168 days/24 weeks?"

No.  This is impossible, therefore no doctor in the world has ever had such a patient.

3. "Do you believe that I am in the all clear and cannot infect my wife?"

Yes.

4. "I also did a PCR test at 18 days after my exposure and the results stated "Undetectable for HIV". Can i also trust this result ?"

Yes.

5,6. "A local doctor told me that i need to test out to 1 year to be 100% sure and then a nurse told me that I need to test every 6 months for 3 years to be 100% sure that I am HIV negative. This has caused me great stress and anxiety. Should i believe them as another Doctor told me that the longest it can take is 6 months and once i get tested after 6 months with no other exposures and the result is negative I am totally HIV negative. What is your opinion on this as this is stuck in my head and cant go away and has caused some slight anxiety to come back in my life?" and "Do you agree with a 3month or a 6 month or even a 1 year window period for HIV testing?"

It is never necessary to test any later than 6-12 weeks.  See this thread:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

7. "If i was one of your patients who had an exposure just like mine. What would your advice be for Hiv testing?"

I don't know the details of your exposure and I'm not going back to your other thread(s) to learn, because it doesn't matter.  The test results overrule all other considerations.  You could have injected HIV positive blood into your veins; the test results prove you were not infected.

There will be no further comments or discussion. There is nothing you can add that would possibly change my opinions or advice.

HHH, MD
Thank you Dr.

Have a Blessed day.