HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Truvada and Risk?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Truvada and Risk?

Hi Doctor,

This may seem like a silly question, but I am freaking out, and did not know who to ask.

I work in a pharmacy and was filling a prescription for truvada. I opened the bottle and counted it out, and one of the tablets was broken, so I picked it up and threw it out and continued counting.  My pharmacist then was like " oh no, that needs to be kept in the original bottle, you can't open that!

Now I am freaking out that because I touched the tablet, and am worried that I could catch HIV from the tablet.

I wasn't sure if it was like certain cancer drugs, where you are not supposed to handle them, because it could in fact cause cancer......

I used hand sanitizer right after, and then as soon as I had a chance washed my hands with soap and water.

My pharmacist told me not to worry, but here I am days later and still panicking.

Please help!
Welcome to the forum.

I cannot imagine what harm might come from handling Truvada tablets.  If there is any real danger, I'm sure the literature provided to pharmacies would make it clear.  Or ask the pharmacist what the problem might have been.

In any case, how in heaven's name would you assume you could catch HIV?  From a drug that kills the virus??

All is well.  Don't give any of this another thought.

Regards--  HHH, MD