HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Unprotected Oral - tests conclusive

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Unprotected Oral - tests conclusive

Gentlemen,

Thank for you for the service you are providing via this Forum. My question:  Following receipt of oral sex (I was insertive), I had a PCR RNA test and 9 days 7 hours post exposure and an antibody test at 30 days post exposure. Both of these tests were negative. Can I accept the combined negatives from both tests as conclusive (similar to the duo test at 28 days) or is further testing warranted?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.

You were at little or no risk, since oral to penile HIV transmission is extremely rare, if it occurs at all; some experts believe it is truly zero risk, even if the oral partner is known to have HIV.

But more to the point of your question, your negative test results are 100% reliable, i.e. just as with the duo test, as you suggest yourself.  For more discussion of all this, including the reasons that most agencies still recommend final testing at 3 months, see the thread linked below.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for the prompt reply, Dr. Handsfield. Glad to be able to finally move on.
Dr. Handsfield,

Just to confirm, the onset of any adverse symptoms would not impact the reliability of the two tests combined - the RNA at roughly ten days an the antibody test at 30 days?
There are no medical conditions that influence HIV test results, with the possible exception of antibody interference by a few very severe (life threatening) conditions.
I think my question was poorly written. Would adverse symptoms emerging post testing raise any concern about reliability from earlier tests - RNA and antibody?  Eg. Swollen lymph nodes, etc that would make you want to retest?
No.

What happened to "Glad to be able to finally move on"???

Stop overthinking it.  There is no information that will come to your mind that would change my opinion and advice.
I've been having some strange symptoms recently; was just concerned they may be some need to retest in light of symptoms - sore underarms, abdomen pain, lightheadedness.
Good grief. What exactly did you not understand about my last reply?  If you keep this up, the entire thread will be deleted.  This is not a hand-holding service for people who will not or cannot accept our advice and reassurance.
Not looking for hand holding. Just wanted to make sure my symptoms did not warrant additional testing. I appreciate your advice and guidance. Thank you.