HIV - PREVENTION
FORUM
Unprotected Oral Sex 10 days after Tetanus shot
by namaste123, Sep 11, 2008
Dear DR,
I had unprotected oral sex with female sex worker in Asia about 50 days ago. I've read this forum and I know oral sex is very low risk. But what I worry is that 10 days before  the oral sex I cut my foot in ocean and I had Tetanus vaccination in hospital. By the time the encounter, my foot wound was not healed yet either.
Is there any risk getting infection  in my case? Does the vaccination and unhealed wound effect  my immune system?
Since 2 weeks ago I feel my lymph node in thigh is swollen. Rather than that I don't have any symptoms.
Thank you very much for your time.

Answer:
by Edward W Hook, MDBlank, Sep 11, 2008
Neither your tetanus shot, nor your foot wound change your risk (or lack of risk) for HIV.  Your risk for HIV from oral sex is, as you point out, is very, very low.

As for the swollen gland in your leg, that is likely a response to the cut in your foot.  If the cut is infected, even a little bit, it is all the more likely that you would have a swollen gland from it.  Hope this helps.  EWH
Member Comments (4)
by namaste123, Sep 11, 2008
Thank you so much for your replay.  I feel much better.
My cut was infected a little. I injured left foot and my left side of groin lymph is swollen. My wound is completely healed 40 days ago. But  I still  have swollen lymph. Is this common thing for infected  wound?
by Edward W Hook, MDBlank, Sep 11, 2008
Yes.  EWH
by namaste123, Sep 11, 2008
Dr. Hook
Thank you so much for your time.