HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Unprotected cunnilingus

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Unprotected cunnilingus
Hi doctor

Last week I had oral sex twice with two different prostitutes on two different days. I used a condom when my penis was sucked by them. But I did NOT use any barriers when I was licking and eating their ***** (cunnilingus). I even inserted my tongue deep into the vagina, each encounter lasted for 30 min. There was no intercourse.
I am not aware of any ulcers in my mouth but I do have few active dental carries. The more worrying thing is that one hour before the encounter I brushed my teeth.

Now 7 days after the first encounter I developed a sore throat & I'm really depressed & I think I'm 100% HIV infected.

Am I at the risk of contracting HIV from them if they have it? What shall I do now? The last encounter was 5 days ago.

I'm married, do I need to abstain from sex with my wife? For how long?

Do I need a HIV test at all?

Please help me

Thank you & best regards
Welcome to the forum.

HIV is never been known to be transmitted by cunnilingus; and in general, oral exposure is risk free for HIV.  So you are at little or no risk of HIV from the events described.  In addition, your sore throat began too soon; ARS symptoms rarely start as soon as 7 days; usually it's 10-20 days.  And sore throat, without fever, is almost never due to HIV.  I'm sure you just caught a cold, unrelated to the sexual exposures you have described.

Based on the information provided, there is no need for you to have an HIV test, and you can safely continue unprotected sex with your wife.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you doctor
That was really helpful & reassuring.