HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Unprotected sex

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Unprotected sex

I had been talking to a woman for a couple weeks. On our second date we had sex. We had unprotected sex for a couple minutes. I withdrew and put on a condom. Do I need to be tested for HIV. If so, when. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

If you are in the US, and if your partner doesn't have special risks for HIV (injection drug use, past partnership with an infected male partner, immigrant from a country with high HIV/AIDS rates, etc), then the chance she has HIV is very low, probably no higher than 1 chance in several thousand.  And with entirely unprotected vaginal sex, if the woman has HIV, the chance of transmission to her male partner is around once for every 2,000 exposures.  (Spouses of HIV infected persons never catch the virus, and others become infected only after several years of unprotected sex.)

So my advice is that you discuss STDs and HIV with your partner, if you haven't already done so.  You'll probably learn she has no special risk factors.  And she may be grateful for the conversation:  it's possible she is equally or more worried about your STD/HIV status as you are about hers.  After all, women in general are at higher STD/HIV risk from their male partners than men are from their female partners.

All things considered, HIV testing isn't necessary after this event unless she tells you she in fact is infected or has been at high risk.  In that case, I would recommend a urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea (which would be accurate at any time) and blood tests for HIV and syphilis 6-8 weeks after the exposure.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I live in the us (texas). I will speak with her about it.